1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pino setup

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Arrow, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Arrow

Arrow

Sep 10, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I was wondering if someone would have figured out how Pino Palladino has dialed his Ampeg SVT tone settings. I myself use an SVT VR but I cut down the lows by using the rocker switch because on stage, it is way to boomy. I love a midranged sound with growly lows instead of sublows. So I was curious how my hero dialed in his tone setting.

Anyone?

With regard,
    Erwin

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Erwin, the key is to focus the bulk of your tone on your playing style and get your bass close enough to his tone. Every time I see him, it's essentially a P bass and flatwound strings. The amp should be set to sound good to you and to work within the acoustics of the stage you are on. I am 100% sure his settings would not work for you and they change for every show.

A general guide:

Sub lows 30hz to 60hz.
    Thicker lows 80hz to 150hz
    Low mids 200hz to 400hz
    Midrange 500hz to 700hz
    Upper mids 800hz to 1khz
    Upper mids into treble 2khz to 8khz

Pull out the manual and start adjusting your head a little bit. Play a few seconds, adjust back, play again, see what it sounds like and take it from there. Use your ears and you will be able to achieve close to what he is doing more often.

Arrow likes this.
  3. Arrow

Arrow

Sep 10, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Thanks so much!

To be honest, his sound is to muddy for my taste. His playing however...wow!
    I was just wondering how he dials in; lots of sub or only his highs cut off for instance.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Here is a little help: SVT VR - Put all tone knobs at noon, adjust the Volume knobs to about 4/10. Put all rocker switches to "off". Start playing, play towards the neck on your bass, and see where you are at. Try rolling off the highs on your bass first and see where you end up. I think you are complicating this too much. Once you understand what each knob does on your bass/amp it will become HUGELY clear as to what his tone actually is. (Hint, it's not super sub low. There is a good focus on the 80hz to 200 hz range for what he does.)

Arrow likes this.
  5. frankzelf

frankzelf

Jun 16, 2009
    these are the settings on his Fenders, a lot of punch

super bassman.

Arrow likes this.