Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pino's new 8-string guitar/bass hybrid.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Dec 6, 2004.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  2. It's a great idea. I dont know about th looks to be honest. I'm not a big fan of non-woodgrain browns. And the fretboard looks a little too strange, it kinda makes is looks coolish but again, too strange. Great concept tho, it doesn't say what its tuned to tho?

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looks like the same concept as a Chapman Stick or Warr guitar... It's cool!!

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The Sei website says it's tuned:

3 Bass E A D and 5 guitar A D G B E,

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
  6. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Which is EXACTLY tuned the same as the Novax guitars that Charlie Hunter uses.

Strange that none of you seem to know Charlie Hunter.

Well then just go here to find out more about this amazing player.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Holy Jeebus. Mind-boggling!!! I absolutely love this guy.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Charlie Hunter is quite popular although maybe not around here because he plays just as much guitar as bass. Yeah hes mind boggling... check out his DVD "Right Now Live" :bassist:

9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    You're right. I've never really heard of him before. The vids on his site are smokin! Can you recommend the quintessential Charlie Hunter disc (or three) that would be worth checking out from his site? I've already got the MP3s.

10. That is a GREAT DVD! Charlie Hunter is a maniac. Definitely one of the most talented musicians I have ever seen. The man must have 2 brains!

I am fortunate to play in a band with a guitarist that has the CH Novax bass/guitar. He can play it very well and I am amazed at how good the instrument sounds as both a guitar and a bass.

Jeff

11. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    wow i should hang out here some more because wherever i go, nobody has heard of charlie hunter. it seems im the only one in my county who has heard him play.

12. David

You beat me in posting pictures of this Custom Sei. When I was at the Gallery 2 weekends ago I was talking to Martin about it and he is really pleased how it turned out. I understand that Pino is also very pleased with his new toy :D

Regards

Matthew

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Re-read the first post. He knows who Charlie Hunter is.

14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Yeah, me 2, did I not mention him in my post?

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That is so cool that Pino had this built!

I've always been a great fan of Charlie Hunter's playing and concept... Glad to see that a world-class bassist like Pino is interested in Charlie's concept as well.

There are actually a few players out there that have a Novak/Charlie Hunter 8'er and have worked on that technique.. Actually a roommate of mine is researching to see if he might be taking that same route and having a similar instrument made for his solo Jazz gigs.

16. That is sweet. I always liked the Charlie Hunter concept but thought the guitars looked rather strange (pickup and body layout), and preferred the Conklin style.

17. To me his best cd is his first one, "CHARLIE HUNTER TRIO"... amazing player!!!

18. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    Charlie is a great talent - Ralph's fanned frets are licensed and it's the same setup as Charlie's so it had to have been directly inspired by him. Pino plays an old fender P bass as his main bass hence the shape and size of the Sei -- that bass flat a$$ rawks!