Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pinstripe accent material

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greenman, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Any ideas on material I can use to make 1/8" black pinstripe like Warmoth shows in photo. Theres is .030 and made of fibre. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I haven't tried the black fibre stuff, but I trust a piece of wood veneer to glue, sand and accept finish similar to the rest of the wood on the body. I bought some black dyed anigre veneer from a2zveneer on Ebay. The stuff looks very nice and the seller was good to deal with. The piece I bought was 9" x 70" and it was shipped rolled up, wrapped and boxed for only $8.00. Kind of expensive relative to the $12.00 I paid for the veneer, but I have enough to either do two basses or double the thickness for the one I'm building. I think the veneer came out quite a bit cheaper than the fiber sheet I've found.

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Sounds good - I'll check the E-bay Deal.

4. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
  5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks for the link Scott French. They are even in my territory.
    The black was more important then the thickness. They have 2mm that will work just fine.

6. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I had looked at the LMII black fiber veneer before but hadn't noticed where it said
    That's very interesting. At 6" x 36" you might have to be a bit careful to cover the whole top unless your body is inder 12" wide. I was looking at buying two of those pieces before I found the wood veneer.

Also keep in mind that the black line on the Warmoth example is a .030" veneer. It looks wider since the exposed edge is on the rounded part of the body contour. If you get up around .080" or .125" it may not have such an elegant look.

7. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Dear hambone, everytime you have the right on spot answer. Man, thanks so much, so happened i just have the same query. and here in tb, i find the solution.
    thanks
    truly appreciate:hyper:

8. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I would like to laminate 1/4" spalded maple on 2mm Garolite on ash back. Any special glue for bonding this material to wood?

9. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    I found many diff garolite in Mcmaster-carr and different grade, so mr. hambone.. which one to go for? (G-10, G-11,GLe.. what the hxll are the different?

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    If you do a search for garolite on the mcmaster site, you will come up with a page that gives the details about all of the different grades.

You'll want the black garolite sheet, grade XX shown on page 3398.

I actually bought a 24" square piece of the 1/16" sheet, but worried about glue adhesion, finishing alongside the natural wood, hardness of the material (much harder than the woods I'm using) and lack of expansion or contraction from changes in humidity or whatever so I decided to use the wood veneer. No doubt I worry too much though since it seems a lot of high end builders use the fiber sheet with no problems.

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    +1
    I wanna know too.