Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pinstriped finish.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Trevorus, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am refinishing a body, and I want to put a single white strip around the oustside of the black body. The way I had planned on doing this was to prime it (of course), then do a nice coat of white. Then lay my pinstriping with some of that pinstriping tape, then paint it black (reminds me of a song). Then I would peel off the pinstripe tape leaving a nice white stripe. Anyone have any tips, and any sources for tape that can make good tight bends? Also, If I were to do just the opposite and make white the primary color, would I just do an inverse masking of the pinstrip area and paint that black on top of white? Any help is appreciated.

2. Depending on what you want to do after the primary color is done, it's possible that you could use a 2 mil exterior grade signmakers vinyl and then trap it under clear poly. This would give you a perfect line with less trouble. The approach you've described is the way we would do it if it were to be a painted stripe. Or got to this site and look at some of the striping products they've got: www.eastwood.com

I've got a project coming up that will need something similar and I'm going with the vinyl approach because the line will be a metallic burgundy color (so far).

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I was planning on a painted stripe. But I may just end up buying myself a gravity feed sprayer, and mixing up some pearl white with tiny gold flakes. That would look super sweet with the gold anodized pickguard. I am definitely going laquer based, and I have a PPG paint shop nearby.

4. Why not just invest in a decent striping brush and take an afternoon to learn to make a good line. Then you'll spend about $20 on the brush and $10 on can of good One-Shot paint and you'll be done. It will be painted in a metalflake. There is way too little paint here to do much else unless you're headed towards your own paint setup anyway.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've rarely seen a pinstripe on a bass but the Lightwave bass I've got has such a stripe around the perimeter on a natural finish body. Hell of job. In fact, I thought the body was halved at first with a thin strip of laminant or something sandwiched in. I don't know how they did it. Wish I was a happy with the tone as I am the appearance of the bass. I'd much rather have the reverse.