Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pinus Precision

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by amkrisis, Aug 21, 2005.

1. amkrisis

amkrisis

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi

has anybody made bass out of Pinus? What are the tonal qualities?

What is the best finnish for this type of wood? Oil/wax? what combinations?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. How about filling out your profile so we know who you are and where you come from.

In the US, that wood looks like yellow Pine and it's not usually used as a tonewood. It's a very pitchy wood and that would have a bearing on selecting a good finish for it.

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I've used pine as a body wood, and it seems to sound pretty warm. It's really soft, so an oil finish would be somewhat unpractical, cuz it dents REALLY easily. It's really light, so you might want to look out for neck dive.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Pine is a pain to paint...

My experience, being from a country where pine is more or less the only available wood...:

If you cover pine with a hard finish, it will dent less easily, but the dents that inevitably do come, are much more pronounced. The edges get very sharp, and the dent deep.

If you oil pine, dents will come easier, but most will not be noticeable. Not even the bigger ones, since they present rather soft edges.

Hard finished pine tables were very fashionable during the early eighties, and very pretty in the shop. They all look terrible now, while some oiled tables from the 1800's, never refinished, look really nice.

5. amkrisis

amkrisis

Aug 21, 2005
    It's wood from Brazil

It is a 5lbs Brazilian Red Pinus ( Pinus resinosa )

So solid paints aren't suggested?

What about shellac and clear cellulose finish?

6. amkrisis

amkrisis

Aug 21, 2005
    what pickups would you suggest for this wood?

Is it realy realy that warm? In that case EMG-P's might be a way to go?

I'm looking for an all round sound ... nothing to extreme, but with the cool P-bass sounds ...