Piper At The Gates of Dawn

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 4, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I pulled this old Pink Floyd gem off the shelves for the first time in years the other day. I must say that Syd Barrett makes Roger Water pale in comparison in song writing. I noticed though that Roger's bass throughout the whole album is very non-existent. Why is that? You can't hear him at all.
  2. Let me take a shot at it:

Syd Barrett at the time was the better songwriter at the time of Pink Floyd from 1967 to 1968. Even Waters admits that he was not a big songwriter at that time. Remember it took about six or so albums for Waters to get to the lyric writing ability that shines in DSotM.

Both Syd and Roger realied on humour and wit in their songs. However the difference between them was that Syd used more fantasy and a fairy-tale approach whereas Roger told a real message about whatever it is that concerned him (war, population booms, seeking money, fearing death, etc.)

Actually Roger Waters' bass playing was more freer and exploratory than his later works. This is clearly evident in "Interstellar Overdrive." He uses a Rickenbacker (reportedly bought using his student grant).

I think maybe the reason it may not have sound not existent is because of the mixing. It depends whether it's the original mono or re-released stereo (I currently own the remastered stereo version and I hope to get the remastered mono version). The bass is there, don't worry.

I hope this helps...

Derek J. Power
  3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Thanks man. I can feel the bass a bit, just couldn't pick up actual notes or lines.

Roger is great, but he is just too mad and political sometimes.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I saw them live supporting "Dark Side of the Moon." Even though Waters was using a Fender P, which is a punchy, percussive bass, it didn't stand out as a distinct musical element. And it wasn't because he was doing some mystery fills or ghost noting.

However, with all the synth/keyboard/tape stuff Floyd had going on, it would have been totally out of place and detrimental, IMO & that of milllions of satisfied listeners, if you could "pick out" the bass, even when Gilmour goes into those solos from another galaxy.

BTW, we got to the auditiorium about 3 hours early just to watch them set up the most elaborate, complex, cutom sound system I have ever seen at a concert.

Too bad Syd became a casualty of the acid wars. He was gifted.