Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SpiralEyes123, Jul 20, 2004.

1. I just listened to this album ( Pink Floyd's first ) for the first time and was amazed. Syd Barret has some really cool guitar riffs that fun and easy to learn. The best ones are on Astronomy Domine, Lucifer Sam, and Interstellar Overdrive. How do you guys like this album?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Off to recordings!

*throws thread to Wrao*

3. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Actually, I'm a big early Floyd fan. Not because it's particularly great music(I believe the band members cringe at a lot of their early stuff), but because Syd was so different and charismatic, and, well, unique. Now that we know the outcome of his years of excess, internal issues with the band, and his subsequent mental illness, listening to the early recordings are a time capsule to the magic of what could have been only if.....

and that's it. But, I too listen to it, if only for the imagination, drive, and naivete behind it. It's truly inspirational and evocative of the times. I think, if you can listen to the album very carefully with an open mind, you don't need to take heroic dose of LSD or any psycheadelic(for that matter) to appreciate this work.

Enjoy.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Brilliant album. Simply brilliant. If it weren't for Syd, there would be no Wall, no Dark Side of the Moon, no Wish You Were Here, etc.

5. In my opinion the really great, generally-unheard Pink Floyd album is More (soundtrack to the movie More). Never seen the flick, but I love the music. PATGOD is good, too.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I agree, however, I dont particularly like Syd's songs. He also had a few on Saucer Full of Secrets before he left the band. I really think Saucer is where they found their style the most and is one of my favorite albums. To be honest I have a hard time even listening to Piper. Id have to say Animals is my favorite all around album, with Saucer as a close second or tied :)

PS - anyone else noticed all Floyd's albums are only about 45 minutes long? hehehe, cept for live of course :)

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Obscurred by Clouds and Zabrinsky Point are two other brilliant soundtracks they did!

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Syd actually only wrote one song: Jugband Blues. There's rumors that he played on Saucerful, but the rest of the band debunked that myth long ago?

Ever heard Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream? Brilliant Syd songs that never made it onto and PF album; they reveal too much of his madness. They are readily available as bootlegs on the P2P stuff. :ninja:

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah, I have both those songs. I dunno, I guess its just too far out there for me. Syd was a troubled soul, and it showed in his music almost like no one else. I just find it hard to listen too personally. I dont mind his playing, just dont prefer his songwritting. Joe Satriani is another example of that. Great player, dont like his music if ya know what I mean?

Ahh, only wrote one song on Saucer? I knew it was a small number, is prolly why I liked it so much better than Piper. (read here he played on 3 songs - http://www.floydianslip.com/discs/asos.htm - dunno if accurate or not though) Of course all personal preference, many people say Floyd wasnt much of a band after Syd left so early on and each to their own opinions hehe. I just prefer the other stuff.

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Great stuff - love it. Syd was the man. I used to have a couple of his "solo" records. One was called The Madcap Laughs and it had some of those tracks B. Strange mentioned - forgot what the other one was called. Effervescing Elephant is a funny tune too. Did you hear the story of how Syd came into the studio when they were recording the song Wish You Were Here? - they didn't even recognize him for a while, he was really fat and bald and um...spaced out. They didn't realize it was him until after he had left - quite ironic. I gotta put a plug in for Meddle - one of the best Floyd discs IMO. Oh, and we've all heard the song I Know where Syd Barrett lives - right?
    He's still out there somewhere, and no doubt he's as crazy as ever.

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm a pretty big Syd fan too - so Piper is my fave Floyd record. Sure he wasn't a real developed player, but he sure had the sonic thing going. It's amazing to me how long they continued to mine his ideas many many records after he left. I really like his singing - it sounds so personal. If you listen to those solo records a lot of the sound & style sounds very current due it being stripped down & raw. He was the real deal when he had his head somewhat together.

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Syd was truly a creative musician - far more so than most people at the time. He was experimenting with tape loops, rolling ball bearings down the strings, etc. Wild guy. Too bad he couldn't keep his sanity together.

His solo albums are really interesting and disturbing. Ephervesant Elephant is just a wonderful song. Awesome. Gigilo Aunt too. The one that bothers me though is Dark Globe; it's pretty much a self diagnosis of insanity.

Oh where are you now
    pussy willow that smiled on this leaf?
    When I was alone you promised the stone from your heart
    my head kissed the ground
    I was half the way down, treading the sand
    please, please, lift a hand
    I'm only a person whose armbands beat
    on his hands, hang tall
    won't you miss me?
    Wouldn't you miss me at all?

The poppy birds way
    swing twigs coffee brands around
    brandish her wand with a feathery tongue
    my head kissed the ground
    I was half the way down, treading the sand
    please, please, please lift the hand
    I'm only a person with Eskimo chain
    I tattooed my brain all the way...
    Won't you miss me?
    Wouldn't you miss me at all?

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    This thread has inspired me to change my sig hehe :)

14. Two of Floyds greatest albums are dedicated to Syd. Of course these albums ar Darkside and Wish You Were Here.

I have to say though, my personal favorite Floyd song is Echoes from Meddle. Especially the live performance at pompeii.

I heard that during the recording of Shine On You Crazy Diamond ( Song about Syd ) he showed up in the studio to congradulate them on Dark Side. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, if your on the P2P :ninja: check out the live performance of Astronomy Domine. Awesome video.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It looks like I'm alone here, but I can't stand that album. It's just not my cup of tea AT ALL, and I consider it made by an entirely different band than the Waters/Gilmour-led Floyd.

16. At first, i felt like that but it really grew on me. Syd wrote all the music and played guitar and was the leader of the band. It didnt have the Roger Waters sound* ( cant think of a better word ) that he added to all of the other albums.

17. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California

You mean, it wasn't "Water"ed down, yet? :D

18. AllegroNonMolto

AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house.
    I don't know why. I call him Gerald.
    He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse.

Syd rocked.

19. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    "Scream Thy Last Scream", and "Vegetable Man" are both quite schizophrenic, yet interesting. Apart from being sketch pieces for his fractured sanity, they are great works of what could have been............better. Had we received proper care, had there been a better diagnosis of his condition, and had he not taked such ridiculous amounts of acid, Syd could easily have been "The Man".

"See Emily Play", "Matilda Mother", "Astronomy Domine", and, "Scream Thy Last Scream" are my favorite Syd-era Floyd songs.

As for rumours of his playing on, "Saucerful....", Dave Gilmour said that he did, in fact, lay down preliminary guitar tracks for, "Set the Controls", and, "Corporal Klegg". Oh yes, and "Remember a Day".

20. I dont remember too much guitar in Set The Controls but if he did, thats awesome, cause i love that song.

Lucifer Sam, siam cat.
    Always sitting by your side
    Always by your side.
    That cats something I can't explain.

Maybe he liked small animals; cats, mice....