Pirastro Chorda D & G

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ZbigniewKozera, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ZbigniewKozera

ZbigniewKozera

Jul 25, 2018
    Hey, i just buy p.chorda d &g, d string have almost 3mm, what kind of A and E strings could work with them (also size)? Any advices?

2. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi, are these reqular or Carlos Henriquez gauge Chordas? Carlos D is thinner gauge than reqular, this makes it a lot better pizzicato string. For pizz playing Carlos Chorda EA ( E is thinner gauge than reqular ) would propably be best match, these are silver wrapped gut strings. I have paired Carlos Chorda DG with Spirocore weichs, downtuned Spiro solos, Superflexible solos and Evah Pirazzi slap EA, all have worked in one aspect or another. They didn`t pair well with plain gut Gamut Pistoy A / EP slap, Spiro or Superflexible solo or Velvet Anima E string because I felt they are too tight and rigid feeling for my plain gut A, and their arco tone and feel is very different. However, Carlos DG are best pizz guts I`ve ever tried, loud, clear and beautiful tone. I have a reqular Chorda D too, but it doesn`t work pizz very well because of the fat gauge, it`s just big fast fundamental and no sustain.

Problem with Carlos edition Chordas is that you have to order them directly from Pirastro, and they propably sell full set only. Expensive yes, but I recall that public experience is that these are pretty durable gut strings. Hope this helps.

3. ZbigniewKozera

ZbigniewKozera

Jul 25, 2018
    Thanks a lot for reply. I have regular D and G, i hear also good opinion about them, so i will see soon how they work on my bass. But would be nice to have A similar size to D regular chrome. Maybe some diffrent wounded guts A and E?

Reiska likes this.
  4. ZbigniewKozera

ZbigniewKozera

Jul 25, 2018
    Something like Eudoxa maybe?

5. ZbigniewKozera

ZbigniewKozera

Jul 25, 2018
    Sorry - it would be nice to have A string similar size to d chorda regular ( not chrome). So maybe best will be som gut wound like eudoxa or olive?

6. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    I`d go Eudoxa E Oliv A with reqular D & G, don`t know their thickness though.

edit: Another option would be silk core Velvets, Garbos, Garbo lights or Animas.

ZbigniewKozera likes this.
  7. You can get single strings straight from Pirastro, so if you're interested in the Carlos Henriquez edition strings you're not obliged to order a full set. I haven't tried the Chorda D&G strings, but I have the Gamut Lyon D&G strings heavy+ gauge which makes them a bit thicker in gauge than the Chordas (2,26mm & 3,06mm). I've paired these strings with Carlos Chorda A&E strings for about 1,5 years now and to me they feel like a good, balanced match. Before these I had the regular Garbo E&A strings and I recall that for my taste then they felt a bit too stiff, but it's so long ago that I might feel differently if I tried them now. Maybe the Garbo light would be a viable option.. Below I copied the info I got from Pirastro when I asked them about the Carlos Chorda string gauges.

These are the regular Chorda gauges:
    G plain gut = 44 PM (2,20mm)
    D plain gut = 59 PM (2,95mm)
    A silver plated = 55 PM (2,75mm)
    E silver plated = 76,50 PM (3,83mm)

And these are the gauges of the Chorda Carlos Henriquez double bass strings:
    G plain gut = 43 PM (2,15mm)
    D plain gut = 54 PM (2,7mm)
    A silver plated = 50 PM (2,5mm)
    E silver plated = 63,50 PM (3,18mm)

ZbigniewKozera and Reiska like this.
  8. ZbigniewKozera

ZbigniewKozera

Jul 25, 2018
    Thanks guys for advices!

Reiska likes this.
  9. Pirastros and Gamuts have a wildly different rate of twist that affects their flexibility and tone, so you’ll also have to account for those.

10. ZbigniewKozera

ZbigniewKozera

Jul 25, 2018
    Did you play on chordas?

11. I did for about four years on a used set I got from Ken Smith. Yes, even that guy had a gut phase not too long ago.

ZbigniewKozera and Sam Dingle like this.
  12. ZbigniewKozera

ZbigniewKozera

Jul 25, 2018
    Ok, what about A and E strings regular chorda?

13. Negative. Chordas Carlos, full set. I may have run the plain G over Spiro Reds. Can’t remember.

14. lurk

lurk Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    FWIW, the last few times I've seen Carlos live he was no longer using the strings that bear his name....Evahs I think.

james condino likes this.
  15. I've noticed that too... Curious...

16. I remember reading that he switched to EP for more volume but I'm not sure

Sam Dingle likes this.
  17. 834federal

834federal David Brodie

Feb 25, 2012
    Philadelphia
    Thanks!~