1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pirastro Eudoxa after (few days short of) one year...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MrSidecar, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Today, concluding my daily practice, I had the chance to use some recording equipment that I expected to do a good job in actually capturing what my bass sounds like with its almost 1yr-old Eudoxa strings.

Caveats: I am no recording tech, and I don't want to be one. I didn't want to spend a huge amount of time on this, I just wanted to hear what it sounds like from in front of the instrument. A rather huge mic (I found out it's an Aston Spirit) went into some Yamaha mixer to provide phantom power, no EQ, and out into an Apogee Duet. My Ehrlund into the other input of the Duet. Recorded with Quick Time Player. Converted to MP3 with iTunes. It sounds a little "weird" because left is the microphone, right is the pickup. Don't ask.

Also, I didn't exactly obsess about mic placement, just roughly 1 meter away from the bass and a little higher than my right hand playing pizz.

Now, the sounds you are about to hear came to life with very little, if any, musical intent behind them, it was solely about pizzicato sound up to g-octave (no thumb position).

Here goes.

Best
    Sidecar

Attached Files:

luisraulmunoz, Levin, panos and 4 others like this.
  2. I forgot to write my own opinion about the strings. I cannot hear anything in them that would call for a change to anything else- be it arco or pizzicato. They have the right amount of sustain for my taste, they growl as much as I want them to, they are not trebly but very fat sounding- and they feel every bit like the luxury item they are under the hands. In short, my bass feels and sounds the way I want it to. This will go on.

Best
    Sidecar

AGCurry, Levin, Earl and 3 others like this.