Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PIRASTRO JAZZER

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by carved czech, Mar 7, 2006.

1. I have bought my last bass with PIRASTRO JAZZER on it.I like the sound very much, but my mentor thinks they are a bit hard. He recommends me Spirocore Orchestral (both ends red ). What do you think about JAZZERs in compare with SPIROs orchestral? Are these Spiros softer? (I play big band, and my bass need regular tension - so no undertuned solo strings...).
    Thank You

Vaclav

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Jazzers are somewhere in-between Spiro mediums and weichs in terms of tension so using Spiros mediums would load the bass a bit more.
    You like them very much?
    Keep them and forget about your mentor's own taste!
    :)

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Agreed - stick with what works for YOU. I find that (regardless of what actual tension numbers may say) Jazzers tend to feel looser than Spiros orchs and even the weichs on some basses. Underrated strings, IMO.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with the underrated. The Jazzers are really nice strings. The tension reminds me of Spirocore Weich. The sound is unique. I wouldn't call it "hard". They are very clear sounding. Spirocore Orch(red ends), have a punchier sound with more volume IMO. Depends on the bass of course...

5. Absolutely agree!

6. Thanks to all, my special thanks to Francois´s very usefull info:"The Jazzers are somewhere in-between Spiro mediums and weichs in terms of tension so using Spiros mediums would load the bass a bit more".I played both Spiros but on my former bass.
    My new bass is cca 70 years old (czech) carved and very niiiiiiiiice instrument (no repairs!!!).Absulte "shooter" I have ever kept in my 56 years old hands.....Life is wonderfull.....

7. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    The Jazzer low B and E are the best BOWING strings I've found for orchestral use on my 5-string, after a lot of trial and error (and strong suggestions from one of the other five-string players on this list).

I was surprised, but pleased.

8. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    How do the other jazzers (G, D, A) bow? How long is their general life span? I've been playing Obligatos for a while now, and I like them okay, but they don't last more than 4 or 5 months for me (I play at least 4 hours a day almost everyday). How would you compare the Jazzers to the Obligatos (tension, tone, pizz, arco, life, etc)? Thanks!

9. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I briefly had a set of Jazzers on a bass that I now have Obligatos on. On this particular bass, the Jazzers just didn't work out, and the Obligatos are working out very well. To me, the Jazzers and Obligatos are very different. The Jazzers are very bright -- even brighter than Spirocores, while the Obligatos are much warmer. As far as arco, even my teacher, who is a member of a major symphony orchestra, was not able to get a useable sound with the Jazzers (it was pretty ugly!), while the Obligatos bow fairly easily. I'd say it really depends on the bass and what you like personally.

10. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Thanks, I had guessed that the jazzer's wouldn't be bowable after hearing people compare them to spirocores.

11. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Pretty awful, unfortunately. Great pizz sound indeed, though.

12. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Understand, my comment was only about using the B and E on a five-string. I've never tried to bow any of the other jazzers, and I have it on other good authority that it would be a waste of time to try.

HOWEVER, the B on a 5 string is a great bowing string, compared to a lot of others I've tried. I don't love the way the E bows, but for the volume it produces on my bass, I'll gladly trade off some of the downsides in exchange.

My "bottom line" is that I can't find anything else -- including Spiros -- that produces an acceptable level of volume on B and E, and the Jazzers do it for me.