Pirastro Obligato vs Corelli 370 Forte

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Aug 4, 2001.

1. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    I would like to thank every one who has helped me so far in my quest for new strings. I have narrowed my decision down to the PIrastro Obligatos and the Corelli 370 Fortes. I am however having a very rough time deciding between the two. I do want a modern sound (not thumpy). But i also want a very warm tone. From what i have heard the Corelli 370 Forte is a warm string that can sing too and is easy to play. I play both jazz and classical. Is the Forte the gage that i want or the medium? I have heard that the mediums can be scratchy under the bow. Are the Forte strings still low tension and easy to play? Sorry that i am being so persistent and annoying about this topic!!
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    If you want a modern (not thumpy) sound, that rules out the Obligatos IMHO. The Medium Corelli 370 strings are as bowable as the other weights; I have a set on my homebuilt EUB and bow them regularly, and even with the sensitive piezo pickups on it, I don't sense any scratchiness.

The Forte and ExtraForte weights are very close, but neither is as "heavy" as most other "heavy" gauge strings. If you like the flexibility, the Forte are slightly lower tension than the TX.

I think I gave you this advice via email, but here it is again for the other lurkers on the board.

Hopefully others will contribute their take on the two strings so that you have additional opinions.
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    In fact the Medium 370s were developed with the help of François Rabbath.
    If he thinks they're the best strings, I trust him they play well with a bow!
  4. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    In the Lemur catalogue it says that the mediums are for solo orchestral stuff and the forte are more suitable for both jazz and orchestral. But I have also been told that many jazz players use the medium (which is the lightest) gage???
  5. Hmmm.......Obligatos....thumpy? Not on my basses.

JAS: If you're investing all this effort with the expectation that you won't have to buy more strings, guess again. The quest is endless.
  6. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    I know that the quest for the perfect string will never end. I am sure that when i get the Corelli 370 Fortes I will want to one day also try the Obligatos. I understand that every string on every bass is going to sound totally different. I just want to be well informed. You guys have all been a HUGE help! Thank you!

7. How could obligatos not be thumpy on your bass?!!???!?!?!?
  8. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley

Take some time reading threads in this forum on the Corelli gauges before dropping any money. Many have bought the medium gauge set thinking they would compare with medium gauges of other strings and found them too wimpy for serious jazz playing.
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm guessin' that it's probably because Donosaur has HANDS. ;)
  10. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Obligatos are not at all thumpy if you pizz pretty hard.

On another subject, I put on the re-formulated Velvet 180's last week when the Obligatos fell apart after only six months. I'll post a review later, but these are the BEST bowing strings I've ever seen; clarity, full sound, and can safely be used both as solo or orchestral tuning. The pizz sound is growing on me as they settle in.

We discussed Obligatos on the 2xbasslist last week, and somewhat of a consensus was reached. Those who pizz pretty hard have longevity issues with them, and those who play mostly arco or don't pull that hard have no such problems.

I liked the sound, but I've heard better, and replacing them 2x+ a year doesn't make me a fan.

12. shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    obligatos are definately not thumpy on my bass either, but i have a really nice kolstien. my experience with them is that the nicer the bass, the better they sound, with more sustain and less thump. i had them on my chinese bass, the very same set, and they were all thump.
  13. Yea your right , i have a laminated phretzchner...

(sorry about the spelling)(school- i wouldnt have bought this peice of crap)....