1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pirastro Obligato

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Russ48, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Yes, my bass is strung with them!

23 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. I did use them once but didn't get on with them.

37 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. Haven't used them but might give 'em a shot!

17 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. I don't intend to use Obligatos, sorry.

21 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Russ48

Russ48

Dec 29, 2007
    Dudley, UK
    First came accross Pirastro Obligato strings when I discovered Dan Bergalund, (e.s.t. bassist) used them. Although they don't quite have the sustain or 'zing' of Spirocores, they have a lovely depth of tone and do sustain well, especially in the lower registers.

They demand more 'flesh' across the strings from the fingers, but when use to playing them, they really growl when playing pizz style. They have a good arco response. Any others of you use Obligatos?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Moved on from them long ago. Not enough oomph for me on my bass, and they went all spindly and died in about eight months. I thought I liked them until I tried Spiros again, then Animas, and now Evah Pirazzis.

3. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Feb 17, 2009
    Sweden
    I think the Obligatos aren't bad strings but ever since the Evah Pirazzis came I can't see any reason to use them anymore. EPs don't roll like oblis, and they have a darker, thicker sound and better tension IMO. Just my view on em...

4. Liked the Obli G and D, but replaced the A and E with Superflexible. Then replaced that whole mess with Dominants, which I liked but are now in their death throes.

Next up: Belcantos, methinks.

5. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I think Obligatos are a good string. The Evahs can sound too dark on some basses and the Obligatos are brighter. They bow very well and have a nice pizz tone. They do tend to wear out somewhat quickly, and don't like being taken off and put back on very much.
    I notice that many bass shops will string up a bass that's for sale with Obligatos because they won't really alienate anyone. Bright enough for steel string pizz people, a little bit blunt/punchy for the gut folks, and plently bowable for orchestra/crossover.

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I'm with Marcus. Sure, the Obligati are nice when new, but they don't last as long as some other strings. After a few months they go a little twangy and cold. The rolling on the E and A got to be pretty bad on my ancient set so I just switched to Animas and like them much better. I do have them on my plywood bass because they are relatively cheap and feel nice.
    A friend and monster player went from Animas to Obligati E, A and D with an Olive G and likes them better, so go figure.
    If you like 'em, that's all that matters.

7. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    Obli's are ok but I think the G string is way too weak. It makes the whole set feel a bit unbalanced IMO. And then there's the famous "roll".

I'd rather go with Evah's as someone mentioned here earlier. If want a meaty pizz with warmth and sustain but still a great arco string, Evah Pirazzi is the way to go.

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    My Shen Willow came strung with Helicore Hybrids when I got it. Hated em. I had been using Spiros on my old bass (German ply) so I slapped a set on the Shen. Being a new bass and all they were super bright.

I thought maybe a hybrid (non steel core) string might help. My luthier suggested Obligatos. I really dug them out of the box. Pizz. Nice bite with a good amount of warmth. The feel was a little funky but I got used to that. Arco was nice too. They got pretty lame after about 4 months though. Just kinda thunky with no real definition.

I'm on to ancient Spiros. Best 'hybrid' string I've tried.

9. basbende

basbende

Feb 23, 2008
    I use em for quite a while now, but indeed , they don't last very long. I don't mind the "roll" though. I do like the sustain, but I miss some punch. Never had the weak G problem though. Maybe that's also a matter of bass/ string combination?

10. CPike

CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Yuck, tried Obli's for a few months, dead and lifeless. The "rolling" issue drove me nuts. I will say one good thing about them, they stayed in tune better than any other string I've used. I always return to orig Flexo's...

Chris

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I agree with Marcus as well. The rolling never was an issue for me. I liked the sound of Oblis in my living room but they were lost on a gig. In addition, when I'd try to "dig in" for more, they would give up. Moved on to Dominants which were a huge improvement. I loved the Doms but the breakage issues got to be a bit much-- moved on to Evahs.

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    This mirrors my experience with them. I actually loved them for about 6-7 months but then they went dead in a big way. I gotta get more time out of a set than that. I don't change electric bass strings that frequently. I'm back to Weichs....yawn...

W

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I think they are junk. Never understood why people liked them. The EP kills them. It's Spiros or Flexocors for me.

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Well, I think that's a little extreme (IMO)...I haven't tried the EP's...the Obligatos bow very well, they have a good pizz sound during their lifetime (less volume and impact than Spiros, obviously) and the low tension is nice on some basses. For an even blend of arco and pizz I would go for new Obligatos before I would break in a set of Spirocores with the bow. (scratch scratch, squonk squonk)

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm fine with differing opinions of course. I've heard them on people's basses on gigs and they worked fine for them.

Mostly I'm still responding in reference to the Obligasto lovefest that was rampant around here several years back when the bandwagon was circling these things.

For me, my playing style, my basses, what I want to get out into a room and how I want to cut through a dense mix Obligatos are limp noodles that roll around under my fingers and bow.

I'd take any kind of spirocore over those things any day, pizz or arco.

16. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Yep. Then Bel Canto, EP, Weich EP. ;)
    This string thing is worse than the choices at Baskin Robbins.
    http://www.baskinrobbins.com/IceCream/flavorsofthemonth.aspx

I'm holding out on the Weich EP's for a long, long track record. If people still dig them in 2012, I may bite.
    No, I don't like Spirocores on my bass. :rollno:

17. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I thought they sounded beautiful on my bass... but like every synthetic core string I've tried, they didn't last very long. Someone should make a synthetic core string with something like a fluorocarbon fiber core, like classical guitarists and harpists have been using.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My last set of Evahs were going strong at sixteen months. And the Animas sounded great after a long time too.... not sure what they put inside those things though. :smug:

Flourocarbon fibre core..... I wasn't aware of that one. My friend, a harpist, just restrung one of hers last year. When I asked her the price, she just rolled her eyes....

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Well, I'm out on the Weichs. Back to Obligatos. I guess I'm getting old (32 in June!). The Obligatos were alot louder on my bass, much more even sounding, and generally alot more "musical". The Weichs were just too thin and hollow sounding on my axe. I would try the Evah weichs but I know the Obligatos work so I'm going back...I got a good 10 months out of my Obligatos, and at $120 a set I can live with changing them that frequently.

20. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Found that, on my bass with my bow/rosin, that they "choked out" when bowing close the bridge, playing in TP. They just wouldn't work with a heavier and slower arm. A hateful squawking sound ensued (even worse than usual)...:)

Pizz, they were sort of soft, mushy, and indistinct. Soft on the hands, though, and had a nice, if diffuse growl...

I couldn't find anything about them that I loved; they were sort of okay, in various ways. Spiro's growled better, Flexocors and Belcanto bowed better. Add the longevity issues, and I couldn't really see the point. Sort of a "gateway" string...part of Pirastro's creative process, maybe, on the way to the Evah Pirazzi's?