1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pirastro Oliv

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Guapo, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Many people use Oliv E-A together with other brands D-G strings, often plain guts. I have played myself with this setup for a while and I wonder how the thinner Oliv sound like. Has anyone tried the full Oliv set? Can I expect the same sound of the thicker strings also for D and G? I heard somone saying the Oliv D-G are not worth much

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting, I've only ever known people to use OLIV Gs and occasionally D's, usually with either Eudoxas or something steel or perlon core on E and A.

If you search on "OLIV G" you'll find very consistent opinions from classical and jazz players saying that it is the greatest G string ever to walk the earth (in the Leroy Vinegar way). They are, on the other hand expensive and sometimes fragile, but I can't can't recall anyone, anywhere ever saying that they were anything less than great sonically. Don't know who your source is, would be interested to hear from them directly about their experiences.

I used an OLIV G for about 8 months and agree with it's goodness, but it's habit I felt like I couldn't afford. Recently played a friends bass with a D and G on it and it was beautiful.

Do a search, you will see contrast for the opinion you have received, for whatever it's worth.

Coincedentially, estoy mut guapo tambiƩn.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    What I've heard, read and personally experienced mirrors what Troyka is saying- The G, plucked or bowed is sonic money, closely followed by the D- I used an Oliv A for a short period of time- arco was fabulous- quick starting, easy to play string with a beautiful, rich, dark chocolate tone- easy to fll in LOVE with; pizz it was practically useless- barely audible, slow starting and thuddy.

Quality control issues were only part of the reason I quit on them- they are woefully susceptible to changes of climate, and rather pricey to boot.

Great strings if you can deal with their issues.

Joe

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I just put an Oliv D on my bass yesterday. I have had the G on for a while now and love it. I added the D and so far I like it. So it is EP weich E A and Oliv D G. We'll see how this set up does. Tuning is an issue, but I am happy to deal with it cause of the trade off.

5. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    That sounds like a great set up- the EP's will blend well and lend stability that will give you confidence if/when things go wonky with the Olivs.

I tried a setup that was similar in (spirit anyway)- Eudoxa E and A with Obligato D and G- this was back before EP's had been released. It was nice knowing that at least two strings would stay where I put em! ;)

Joe

6. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    The olives are (D-G) are a great combination with EP Weich,s or Spiro Weichs.Super with bow or Pizz.

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The aforementioned friend. And they did sound and feel great.

8. Nick Pini

Nick Pini

Mar 5, 2012
    London, UK
    I've just put Olivs D and G on, and Obligato E and A. So far, sounding pretty awesome. I've been umming and aahing over this for a blooming long time, and following these discussions to see what the bass world in general recommend -for which I'd like to say thankyou, and post myself to add to the very useful catalogue of knowledge and experience that's here.

It'll take a bit of time for them to settle in. I'll post again when I've had them on for a while. I've just come from using d'Addario Hybrids (medium/heavy tension) for a couple of years, as they're a reliable work-horse string in my humble opinion. However, after a bit of work had been done to my bass (7/8 German circa 1880), it was no longer speaking in the same way, and needed a string to match it. This, I think, is the solution.. We'll see.

Again, thankyou everyone for your input and influence.

Nick

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well the D came off. It sounded good but has been extremely unstable compared to the G. I might try again in winter when the humidity is more constant.

10. Hey there Nick,

I have also put Oblis on my bass with my Olive G and I was surprised at how well they matched! Right now I have Olive G, Obligato D and A and Spirocore Mittel E

Could you give us an update on how you've been liking your setup? (if you still have that setup), and some reccomendations for a nice matching E string?? (I'm not too in love with the Spiro E, but I heard the Obligato E is not that great...)