Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pirastro Permanents

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yesterday I installed an A and a long C Permanent on my bass. Next to the Gamut unwound guts, these strings are great. I am very impressed with them. They have a very gut-like tone and bow and pizz really well. Certainly the best matching strings for unwound gut that I've found so far.

They have a strong, centered, warm tone with decent sustain but not tonnes of it (not as much as the Dominant A and Spirocore long C I had on before). The arco on the low C is very strong and thunderous like the Spirocore was.

My guess is that the G and D would be too bright for my tastes but I'd be willing to bet that teamed with Flexocors (of some sort) or Olivs, the set would be a dream.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is great to hear. My teacher had a set on his bass a couple of years back and I thought that they had a really nice warm tone especially the E and A. They have a good combination of attack and warmth which isn't often found in a steel string. I may have to check them out one day....I am kind of starting all over now that I have a new bass!

3. I've been thinking of trying permanents.

Here is some info to describe where I'm coming from. (My experience is limited to spirocore orchs and obligatos.)

- Obligatos sound good on my bass (shen 7/8 willow)
    - Obligatos feel too floppy even with a stiff action - 8mm g, 10mm e
    - Obligatos respond well to a bow
    - I like the sound of spiros for pizz for the most part (maybe a little harsh)
    - I really dislike arco on spiros - probably a technique thing, but they sound really harsh with a bow

So I'm thinking guts, animas and jazzers probably wouldn't work for me since most players I talk to say they are low tension and floppy.

A few questions:

- I want a stiff string for pizz, and one that responds well to a bow. Are these conflicting properties?

- Are permanents worth a shot given what I want? (Chris F, any thoughts? Looks like you switched from spiro starks to permanents...)

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Dominants are what you want. They feel stiffer than Spirocore Mittel, and they bow better than Obligato. Nice sustain, and a thick round tone. Permanents are a little brighter I think overall. Tension is maybe a bit less than Spirocores.

5. Thanks for the info. I just looked over the (long) dominant thread. Based on the descriptions, dominants definitely appear worth a try. I'll order a set.

Looks like I confused Chris' string swapping. He swapped from spiro starks to dominants (not to permanents). Sorry for the confusion.

Apologies to Adrian, et al for hijacking the thread. I'll leave now. ;)

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've found, at least with my experiences, that stiffer strings are better for the bow. Quicker response, clearer sound, more choices of timbre and dynamic, and you can be a lot less delicate about starting a note withOUT (doh!) squawking.

7. Ray,

Makes sense. The less a string has to move to make its characteristic sound (possible product of higher tension), the quicker it can respond to the bow. The oblis sound great to me with a bow, but come to think of it they are slower to respond than flexocores which are relatively stiff (if memory serves - its been a while since I played them).

Then there's the scratchy sound of the spiros. They don't seem to have the right mojo to respond properly to the bow - at least at first blush. Then again, I've heard some players sound great bowing spiros. A really dark sounding bass may have something to do with it.

BTW, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm just figuring out things as I go as I get back into more arco playing. Thanks for the info!

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Spiros aren't that bad -- just very unforgiving. They do give you a lot once you get the hang of them. You just have to spend a little extra practice time on starting the string cleanly.