1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pirastro Permanents

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MilesC, Aug 16, 2007.

1. MilesC

MilesC

Mar 16, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Has anyone played Pirastro Permants? I'm buying a hybrid Eastman bass and I 'm debating whether to put Chromcors or Permanents on it. I've heard that the Permanents are loud and are clear in the lower register. I was thinking of having Chromcors on G & D and Permanents on A & E....

2. From my experience, the Permanents top strings are bright in comparison to the bottom ones, which doesn't mean the bottom is dark...
    Like with every other string, you'll need to try them and decide which ones you like most!
    :)

3. MilesC -- did you ever buy the Permanents? I am considering them and I am wondering if you got them, and if so, what you think of them.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I played jazz with them for a few years and liked them quite a bit. I usually used something else on the G, like a flat chromesteel. As Francois said, the G is a bit brighter than the rest of the set, then again, most Pizz G's are.

Good strings, good arco, good pizz. I've been missing them a little lately.

I thought the sonic goodness of them, started fading after 6 months of hard use even though they physically were very durable, I went through a few sets a year, unlike Jazzers or Spirocores, which you can keep on your bass for a lot longer, otherwise, try them. It depends on what you're looking for.

Troy