Pirastro Pizzicato nylon wrapped G / D, Experiences on bowability and D string pizz?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Reiska, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hello! I have Pizzicato nylon wrapped G and silver wrapped D coming from Bassico, Germany. I`ve read that they doesn`t bow well, but since I have been succesful lately with a Garbo G and bow ( = it wasn`t unbowable for me with plenty of Nyman`s rosin and black hair ) I dared to order the nylon wrapped version. Obviously, I`m not looking for great arco string but something I can still practise the bow on. What are your experiences on bowing Pizzicatos, nylon or silver wrapped?

Then another question about the nylon wrapped D, does it behave like average plain gut D when plucked? I mean all the gut D stuff, how it plays on higher positions, how is the intonation and volume when compared to G? I`m asking as I have tried a couple of gut D`s, the boutique stuff included, on a couple of basses and some of them for some months perioid and always with same results. I`m still dreaming of that Charlie Haden-ish tone with Spirocores on the bottom, but wouldn`t go to the dead end again with another fairly expensive D string.

I do understand the on one`s bass with one`s hands -analogy :)

Many thanks in advance, Reiska

2. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    I've been playing on Oliv A - G for about two years now and been loving it. for the E string I tried Eudoxa, Oliv, and Spiro Weich. Eventually I switched to tuning the E to D with Chorda, then Evah Pirazzi Medium, and finally settled on the Spirocore Stark. What I can tell you about higher positions is that the tension on the bass across all strings influences the resonance and sustain on the higher positions.

I would suggest you try Kolstein Soft and see if you still have problems with the bow.

Reiska likes this.
  3. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks for your reply sonix! I too play drop D tuning and that pretty much nails my low string choices to Spiro stark. I`d quess that Eudoxas and Oliv`s bow really well and I`ve been bowing Animas and Garbos lately, this in mind I thought that silver wrapped Pizzicatos won`t be a problem, but nylon wrapped plain gut Pizzicatos might be one. However, Garbo G is plain polyester wound and Anima G, Anima and Garbo D are copper / polyester wound and I`ve been bowing these too. That in mind I dared to order the nylon wound Pizzicato G.

edit: Nyman`s Swedish rosin works really well with copper and / or polyester wound Velvets.

4. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    +1 on Nymans for strings that "don't bow well." I've used it on gut, nylon, and various Velvet strings and it really gets as much sound and grab as possible on these strings. @Reiska , not to derail, but you'd say the Garbo G is fine for arco practice? I've always wanted to try it but was concerned it would be a SuperNil level "will not bow ever under any circumstances" string...

Reiska likes this.
  5. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    @HateyMcAmp: The garbo G I tried is a fairly used one and has seen propably many types of rosin and bows, meaning that it`s surface propably has layers of rosin from previous users. However, I found it to be on par and even easier to start than Anima G. Not your superior arco string by any means :), but I found the reqular Garbo set bowable. Pizz sound is fantastic! It is a weird set with almost completely dead E / D, new A and the aforementined G and so I mixed them with Animas. Haven`t tried Supernils and propably never will :)

You say nylon covered stuff is bowable with Nymans rosin? I`m glad to hear that!

Thanks and happy christmas to Göteborg!

R

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  6. I would say nylon wrapped strings can be bowed with some rosin on the string. Not the best bowing, but works for some practicing.
    I would try to get an Innovation Silver Slap D as a gut replacement. Might be a bit complicated at the moment since they move the factory now, but maybe you can find one from a retailer who still has them in stock.

Reiska likes this.
  7. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    That's an awesome report to hear, and pushed me over to actually pulling the trigger on a full set of Garbos (I've previously tried the light set with a Gamut G.) It's funny you mentioned that the string had a lot of rosin gunked on at the arco sweet spot; for me, applying rosin directly to the string is the secret to getting things like Golden Slaps to catch and provide some functional arco. I actually thought the Anima G bowed ok, but the arco became super unwieldy and thin in thumb position. To be fair, any non-steel string has given my non-classical self a bunch of problems up there so YMMV. And a very happy Christmas to you and your family in Finland!

Reiska likes this.
  8. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    @HateyMcAmp Don`t kill me if your arco vs Garbo results ends in disappoitment :) I mean bowable = Not completely impossible to bow. Anyway, Garbos are the default pizz string for me now, very close to guts but with this beautiful copper Velvet twist and louder than anything.

Best, R

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  9. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    ...Santa was kind enough for me to pull the trigger on Pizzicato nylon D. Let`s see :)

10. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi again, are there any experiences on how and if these settle in after a while? The nylon wrapped Pizzicato D is a very weird string. I had the first one come unraveled but Bassico was kind enough to replace it with no additional cost. I`ve been sporting the Pizzicato G and got the new D on my bass today, with Garbos on E and A, 42" scale carved bass and strings at 9 - 12mm height.

At first, the string is very stiff, Dominants are noodles comparing to this. I quess this comes from the wrapping and EXTREMELY FAT gauge. Second, the open string is very, very loud. Louder than Garbos, I mean on par with Spiro starks. Tension is similar to Velvets but the gauge and stifness makes the string hard to play. Playability is nothing like on plain gut, but the sound is like plain gut on steroids, as is how it behaves on higher positions, like plain gut D but with some loudness and definition switch on. Both the G and D doesn`t stretch too much and start to hold their tuning pretty soon, nothing like plain guts or Velvets that keep on stretching forever.

I find these bowable with black hair and lots of Nyman`s rosin. Scratchy, yes, but in plain gut string way.

The drag is that the string buzzes like crazy and is pretty hard to control because of the stifness. Does this stiffness / buzzing -factor ease up after some break in -perioid?

I do like these a lot, but if the D doesn`t calm down a bit after some time on the bass I`ll start looking elsewhere. Lots of getting used to here too.

Thanks, Reiska

Edit, I`m tagging @Jeremy Allen. I`ve read from another Pirastro Pizzicato thread that you are, or were using these. Sorry to interrupt and thanks in advance!

I have no experience on Golden Spirals, so I can`t compare to them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    HateyMcAmp likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021