1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pirastro Pizzicato

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Thanks, Adrian.
    Sounds they're not for me!

François

2. Adrian, thanks for letting us in on your gut research, as previously mentioned.
    I tried the "Pizzicato" strings and thought they were great( my first foray into the gut world).
    The reason I took them off was because I couldn't stay in tune with them within even one song. I had them on for over two months, and I either gig or practise every day.
    Is this tuning problem usual with gut? I was having to retune after just about every number.
    I put on a set of "Obligatos" and had no problem on the gig last night with the tuning, which made it so much easier to make music. To be honest though, I wasn't enamoured of the sound: there seemed to be a lot of "wow" in the string when I dug in. Maybe I'll go back to spiros for their dependability.
    What's your opinion, and that of any other gut or non-gut people out there?

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've played on various combinations of the Pirastro guts - Eudoxas, Olivs, Chordas, for over two years now where I live, there are substantial variations in humidity and temperature throughout the year. Yes they definitely go out of tune but it shouldn't be as bad as you describe it. Firstly I always keep my strings detuned between playing sessions to prevent the strings getting wrecked if the core should shrink. When I get to a gig I tune up and usually have to tune up at least once and possibly again. As a matter of habit I check tuning whenever I get a chance or when I realise it's out anyway but usually it's very stable after the initial tuning and then another one. In any case for me, it's definitely more than worth the trouble. I'm still using the Chorda G, Oliv D and A, Eudoxa E combo and it's great. I love that unwound G. All bows very nicely too.