Pirastro publishes string tensions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TonyD, Jun 17, 2016.

1. DC Bass and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  2. That. Is. Fascinating. The allegedly weak and floppy Flexocor E carries less than 1 kp less than the A.

3. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    This answers a question I've been curious about. The Obli Long E is exactly the same tension as the standard E.

4. martinc

martinc In Memoriam

robo: Thanks for the heads up:

We have often guessed about the difference in tension between the Jazzers and Spiro Mittels. Now we know:

Jazzer E - 31.8 kiloponds/ 70 lbs force
    Jazzer A - 33.9 kp / 74.7lbs
    Jazzer D - 27.6 kp / 60.8 lbs
    Jazzer G - 27.6 kp /60.8 lbs

Spiro Mittel E - 72.8 lbs
    Spiro Mittel A- 70.5 lbs
    Spiro Mittel D - 68.3 lbs
    Spiro Mittel G - 67.2 lbs

wathaet likes this.
  5. Here are the scales in cm and inches for the different string lengths (they are a bit hidden under Services > Technical info):
    Pirastro - Strings Handmade in Germany since 1798

I saved the screenshots of the tension data, just in case Pirastro changes their mind about publishing tension data.
    If I got some spare time during the holidays, I might compile a new table of tension data published by the manufacturers and recalculated to 105 cm vibrating string length (for 3/4, 4/4 and 5/4 strings).

If anyone has tension data for Corelli strings (for the 380-series, the 370-series is published by the Gollihurs) and hopefully also the scale length for the tension data, I would highly be interested.
    I know they once published the tension for the standard set strings (but not the high Cs), but this was years ago and rather hidden, but it's no longer there. Unfortunately I didn't save them when it was there.

6. I made a new Excel document with any manufacturer data (directly from the manufacturer) I could find.
    I couldn't get the measuring scale length for some manufacturers from the web site and may ask them and correct if I got something useful, so this is work in progress.
    Please note, that you can enter your vibrating string length, tuning A frequency and detune (currently only for Solo strings, but that can be opened up easily).
    You can also enter your own info at the end of the table (these cells are not protected).

Download "Recalculation of manufacturer tension data.xls" as always from Dropbox - Talkbass.

And of course all Pirastro string tension data is included!

bassmanbrent likes this.
  7. martinc

martinc In Memoriam

Double: Thanks for all the work. Great reference sheet!

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting and confusing. I've always said that I thought Jazzers had the general diameter of the Spiro Mittels, but the tension of the Sprio Weichs and that looks just about right for the G and D strings and maybe even the E. The Jazzer A doesn't feel imbalanced with the set at all as these figures suggest. That number just doesn't seem right to me.

9. TroyK, have a look at my excel file referenced above. If you use 4/4 Spiros and compare to 3/4 Spiros it is no wonder that you get mixed up.
    That's the reason why I always want people to make clear if they use 3/4 or 4/4 Spiros or Superflexibles.

In the Excel file I entered the original tensions with the referenced scale lengths of the manufacturers and recalculated them to a user specified scale length. This is a good reference, make use of it.

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Your Excel is a tremendous resource and I thank you for it, but that's not what I was confused about.

11. Sorry, I didn't read carefully. I'm almost in bed now, it's late in Europe now ...

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021