Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pirastro question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Norre, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hello,

Does anyone know what the difference (gauge, sound, response, etc...) is between the Flat-Chromesteel strings and the Original Flat-Chrome strings?
    I've read about them on the Pirastro site, but I would like to hear the opinion of TBers who played both.

Thanks.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    These are completely different strings.
    The Original Flatchrome is nearly identical to the Original Flexocor.
    Arco string, thick and fat E & A strings, G is somewhat bright. They have little sustain and aimed at the orchestral bassist.

The (new) Flatchrome is a relatively thin string, with a clear tone, medium sustain, and aimed at the player with 50/50 needs (pizz/arco).
    They call it an hybrid string bacause it can be used for both purposes with good results.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Are the new FCs like the Perms at all?

4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    To my ears, the Permanents have a fuller tone, more fundamental.
    The FCs are clearer, thinner sounding.
    YMMV.

5. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the info !
    Do you know if there's much difference in bow response?

KN

6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm not a bow player, sorry!

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Perms will bow well on smooth Basses. If the Bass has alot of tension, the E may be a bit stiff. I have been using Orig. FCs and they are much smoother with the Bow. I have not tried the New FCs and I have no idea what they used that name. At least the two types or Flex are similar... I am still learning about this company old and new as I test several of the Orch Strings they make......

The Orig FC are GREAT with the Bow.. Smooth Plush A and E.. I think the reg Flex G is a little smoother but you need to experiment a little if you can. Each bass acts differently with strings. Also, each string may require some type of 'tweak' in your set-up.. I loosened the tail wire on my Martini for the reg Flexes and it made a difference.