1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pirastro question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jmnbass, Apr 17, 2006.

1. jmnbass

jmnbass Guest

Apr 5, 2006
    I am looking in the lemur catalouge and there a a couple of different types of pirastro string. Does anybody know what kind of pirastro has bluish/purple wrap at the top and bottom?

2. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    This rather useful website says it's Original Flatchrome.

Although as far as I'm aware Pirastro color-code their strings at the top of the string depending on it's tuning: i.e. brown - G, red - D, black - A, green - E.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

The Deep Blue (at the Tail piece) is a new formula trying to match the old Flexocors or the 70s. They are called 'Original Flexocor'. Although they have similar gauges to the old Stark Flexocor, they actually sound brighter.

The Violet/Purple (at the Tail piece) is known as Flexocor '92s as if they created them in 1992 BUT these are the ones that sound and feel most like the OLD Flexocors of the 70s. They come in a few gauges and my favorite for Orchestra and Jazz is the Stark Gauge which is similar in thickness to the 'Original' brand but actually DO sound most like the Flexocors of yesterday.

The color at the Scrol/Peg Box for all Flexocor Strings is the same 4-color as Airbass pointed out with maybe a small wrap for heavy or solo gauge for ID.

4. That's actually ruby red, or burgundy red.
    The small wrap if for the weich and stark gauges.
    The solo ones use the conventional Pirastro color code for the tone ID:
    solo A: grey
    solo E: pale green
    solo H: yellow
    solo F#: blue

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    D'oh, that's what I meant - in between reading it off the page and typing it out my brain got all flummoxed (that's original flummoxed, stark gauge :p )