1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pirastro Rubber thingy

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Istar, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I just received my order of a set of pirastro Flexocor`s ( thanks for all the advice given here :) )and as I knew to expect from these forums the G string includes a rubber “thingy” (for lack of a better word).

The problem is is that there’s no manual included on how and when to use this "thingy"

Now I think figuring out the how isn’t going to be that much of a problem since I’ve seen them on basses before. But is there a guide to WHEN to use em.
    Is it better no not use them or if you only play arco to always use them ?

You guys got any advice ?

I can imagine that such a rubber thing would significantly impact the sound of the string, or is that just me ?

2. You use it only if you feel the G string is too bright and/or has too much sustain.
    It acts as a mute.

3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I just got a Flex G and haven't a clue as to how to install the tone filter.

4. The ring goes over the bridge, so that the string touches the bridge groove through the rubber hole.
    The rubber will then touch the string in front and at the back of the bridge, since it's parallel to the string.
    I hope my explanation is clear enough.

P.S. I have a drawing on an old Pirastro envelope that I can scan tonight.

5. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Thank you Francois,

Your explanation is very clear. If I understand correctly, the string does not pass through the hole and the rubber can be installed by lifting the string off the bridge and placing the rubber under the string, so that the string contacts the bridge through the hole.

6. Exactly.
    Here's the scan I promised:

Attached Files:

7. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Francios,
    Have you tried the rubber thingy on Flat Chromesteels by chance? I guessed incorrectly that the thingy was to go behind the ball of the string between the little felt pad and the tailpiece.

8. Yes, on the G string, and it helps it a lot!
    This just reminds me that I need to put that string on with the rubber filter, as I need a G with a bit more life than the reg Flexocor I use right now!
    Thanks! :)

9. Well, yesterday I tried almost all the Flexocor steel Gs I have, with the rubber filter, and it "kills" all of them. I mean, it really cuts the sustain and volume.
    However, the Corelli just gets a bit smoother, just enough to remove the extra brightness and reduce the sustain a bit so it was the contest winner! (a 371 TX)
    :)

10. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I always love it when one brand invents something but then it works best for another :p

11. :)
    Depends on one's needs!
    For arco, maybe it's just perfect with Pirastro steel Gs though!

The construction of the Corellis is completely different.
    These strings much more rigid to me than Pirastro's.
    This gives them the increased brightness and punch the Pirastros lack. (they have more higher frequencies components)
    They may be lower tension though, so overall they're easier to play.

12. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    :D My Pirastro rubber thingy worked great on a Thomastik Superflexible G :p

13. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Wonder if that`s the official name now. "pirastro rubber thingy". :D

14. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I put on my rubber thingy last night and, like so often happens when you put on a rubber thingy, it did take the edge off a little bit. (The sound that is)

I am actually surprised that it didn't muffle the sound more than it did. I'll play with it a while and see if I continue to like the results. So far so good. Thanks Francios!

15. I find that the tone filter (that's what it's called) lowers the presence peak of the high string and gives it a more vocal sound. Note that not all basses sound best with the filter. An old dark basse with a soft top end sounds very nice with the un-filtered top string. It takes a very long time for pirastro original G strings to calm down, and the filter helps even up the sound between the new string condition and the broken in sound. The broken in G string is closer to the new flexecor sound but fatter and louder (IMO). Remember though that the blingy G string might sound great 10 feet away from the instrument even if it sounds too bright right above it. On a similar matter, in LA a few years back I remember most of the guys using pirastro OFC but lately I think they are using stark flexecor '92. Anybody out there know for sure? I know that Dennis Trembly's solo bass had OFC's on it last time I saw it at a shop but that was a year ago.

-Jon