Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pirastro solos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Jan 18, 2003.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Can anyone tell me about Pirastro's permanent solo and flexocore solo strings. How do they compare? I need to find some solo strings quickly and I have narrowed it down to these two. I also need to be able to play them at orchestra tuning as well as solo tuning.
    Thanks for your help

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Flexocors are thinner and darker.
    At orchestra pitch, the solo Flexocors would be like rubber band.

The Permanents are higher tension, brighter, with more metallic edge, and more lively.
    At orchestra pitch, they'd still be playable.

HTH!

3. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    More metallic?
    How would permanents compare to obligatos?
    Do the have much warmth?
    What do you think is the best solo string?

4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think the Obligatos are warmer.
    I'd personally go with Jargar Dolces. My second choice would be solo Original FlatChromesteels.

5. Sorry for my ignorance, Francois.

I am curious. Dose solo Original Flatchrome have the floppy feeling and loss its tone when tuning in Orchrestra pitch?

As original flatchrome user, sometime I feel the orchrestra set is too high tension. But, I love its tone, punch and warm.

Regards

6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They're indeed floppy for pizz playing. But for arco playing, I think they could be ok.

François

7. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Okay, I've had them for a month or so now
    Pirastro Permanent solos that is, and they are great! When tuned down they are playable but they aren't the greatest string for orchestral playing-but still they aren't bad. Solo tuning they are great though.