1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pirastro strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassdogEmer, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    Hi can folks please describe the difference between
    Olives, Permanants, eudoxa and flat chrome's?? I am trying to find gut wrapped G that is a good match for spirocores..
    thanks!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Of those mentioned, only the Oliv is a gut core string.

The Flat Chromesteel is a brighter, steel rope core string. It has a pizz tone similar to a spirocore but a bit easier with the bow. It is clear and focused string. Nothing like the warmth of a gut core. I have them on my bass and really like them. They are an excellent hybrid string IMO.

The Permament is is a little darker string. Perhaps less sustaining. Maybe a little more arco friendly than FCS, but also used as a hybrid string.

3. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    thanks! how is the tension on the flat chromes?? also - what is the difference between eudoxas and olives??

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The Eudoxa is also a gut core string, as is the Pirastro Pizzacato, I believe.

I've used Permanents, Flatchromesteel (not original flatchromes), OLIV and Obligato G strings.

The OLIV, I'm still getting used to, it's been on my bass for a few weeks. It sounds BIG all the way up the range. I'm surprised as I ascend the fingerboard that the presence of it never waivers. It's quite astounding. Responds well to the bow too. The other strings are Permanents, so I can't compare exactly to Spirocores, but I would think it would match well with Mettiels. They are expensive (I traded for mine) and have a reputation of coming unwound suddenly, which has kept me from trying it. It is a large diameter, like most gut strings, maybe larger than your D string will be, but oddly this isn't akward. If I didn't know that it was true gut I might acuse it of having a plasticy quality at the beginning of the attack. I don't really even mean this as bad, but it's just what it is. It's not dead and thumpy like I think of guts being, but it is kind of wholesome sounding and balzy. It's probably what we all really want in a G String, but it's too early for me to really say and there is the price and durability to consider.

The Permanent G was too bright on my bass, but a lot of G String have been, so YMMV.

I've had the most experience with the Flatchromesteel G with Permanents and have been thrilled with it. The sound changes in about 6 months and I stop liking it, but they're not really that expensive. I started experimenting again because when I started recording, I thought it was too bright. I never thought that from playing it, but on play back, it wasn't what I wanted to hear. It might mix really well with Spirocores, though. They're good strings, durable, bowable, nice feel, good projection.

I don't think an Obligato could hold it's own amongst Spirocores. People don't normally use the Eudoxa G strings, but tend to use their E and A's with OLIVs. I dont' have any experience with them myself.

Might also consider a Flexicore in either Stark or Medium Gauge.

Pirastro is a good string maker. I like their products and their support.

5. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Hi- so - there is virtually no difference between the eudoxa and olive?? and what about the jazzers?? anyone try them?

6. Considering the kind of "dirtyness" that comes from Spirocores, I'd think the Permanent G could match well.
    Its tone is clear yet full, and dirtier than other arco strings.

7. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    hmm.. what is the permant?? rope core?? is the tension like spiros - or superflexs or weichs??

8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't say there was no difference. They are both gut core, metal wound strings made by Pirastro, but I suspect they they sound or feel different. I've never used the Eudoxas, so I can't comment, but you usually don't hear about jazz guys using them as G strings.

I took a Jazzer E and A in a trade and had them on and off my bass pretty briefly. Can't really comment, except to say that you don't really hear about people picking those G strings out of the pack seperately.

If you have the money, want gut and can handle the risk of explosion, try the OLIV. It seems to be the gold standard. If you want a stable steel string, Flatchromesteel might be a good match for your Spirocores. (not the origninal flatchromes)

9. The Eudoxa is silver-wrapped, and has a thinner diameter, clearer tone than Oliv, which is wrapped with chromesteel.
    I don't like the "sticky" feel I get from the Eudoxa wrap.
    The Olivs are outstanding for the top strings.

10. The Permanent is a steel rope-core string.
    Tension is somewhat like Weichs I'd say.

11. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Probably similar to Medium Gauge Spirocores in tension, check the string tension chart in the sticky thread. Good jazz string, not as agressive as Spirocores. The G might actually be what You're looking for. I probably have one laying around.

12. greg garrison

greg garrison

Apr 12, 2005
    Colorado
    I use Oliv "g" with Spiro Orch "d" "a" and "e" on my bass- sounds great to my ears- matches up well- sounds big and warm, no twang, which is quite the opposite of a Spiro "g". Have used Eudoxa "d", didn't love the feel, but the sound was huge.