Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pirate Bowl - Yarggh!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oliphaunt, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    So it's official - Raiders v Bucs in the first ever all-swashbuckler Super Bowl.

This has really been a great postseason, and I'm proud to say I predicted this matchup week one.

Such a vast improvement over last year, too. Rams v Pats was horrible, but this'll be a good game, since the Raiders are just a great team to watch, and the both of them play good football.

Shiver me timbers!

2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I'm pulling for the Raiders this year. I just really wanna see Jerry Rice shove it back into San Fran's face.

3. Boooooooooo.............:D

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I'm really psyched about this Super Bowl. Its going to be really fun game to watch because I like both teams (still a battle-hardened Cowboys fan, however :).) If I had to pick a winner, I would give the edge to the Raiders by a score of 24-14.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Are you kidding me? A field goal to win the game as time runs out? (which, by the way was the 1st time in Super Bowl history that the game was won on the final play) That was horrible?

Put the crack pipe down, and step away from the keyboard.

6. The Bucs are takin' this one. There's no doubt in my mind now.

7. Tampa Bay will be tough to beat. The league's best defense and a pass offense that is peaking at just the right time. They still are weak on the ground though; I think they had like a net of 47 yards on 32 carries yesterday.

Oakland, as well, is tough. It is extraordinarily hard to slow that offense down. But where was their rush defense yesterday?

Game plans for both teams:

TB: Attack the Raiders' somewhat injured secondary through the air on west-coast style slant and out patterns, doing everything possible to control the clock and move the football. Mix in runs simply to change tempo, and you must also win the special teams battle. PLAY MAN-TO-MAN DEFENSE. The Raiders have made mincemeat out of zone coverages recently. I know it is tough to defend these WR's in single coverage (not to mention that TB is used to the 2-deep-zone, which WILL NOT WORK AGAINST OAKLAND), but they have no choice.

Oakland: Attack that 2 deep zone like it is a raw piece of meat. Run the ball with Tyrone Wheatley RIGHT at the Bucs' front 4, and mix in Garner, although his effectiveness may be limited by the speed of the Bucs' defense. On D, blitz Brad Johnson on every down, but not an all-out blitz, maybe just one LB. They should be able to stop inside runs with this alone. Put Charles Woodson on Keyshawn Johnson and give him safety help. Man cover the rest. This is an especially important game for the Raider LB's; they will be tested.

Overall: Neither team has faced a team like each other during the year. If the Raiders defense coves to play and plays WELL, GOOD BYE TAMPA BAY. But I believe Tampa will likewise have their defense, which is the best one since the Ravens' SB-winning one a few years ago, on track.

Final Prediction, barring injuries:

Tampa Bay 21
    Oakland 20

BTW: I am heavily rooting for Oakland.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hahahahahaha! Nice one Pac! I agree not because I'm a Pats;) fan but because it was a great superbowl

Oh, and I hope the Bucs beat the Raiders:D

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly.

10. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    It was horrible because the New England Patriots did not deserve to be there, and in fact did not deserve to be in the AFC championship, and got there because that overrated SOB Tom Brady was very good at making fumbles into "incomplete passes". Also, in the actual Super Bowl, the game was lost by the Rams far more than it was won by the Pats, because they just kept making stupid errors in a game that should have been an autowin. Furthermore, the Patriots winning at the same time as all that crazy patriotism was sickening.

11. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You know, if the Pats hadn't deserved to be there, the Raiders would have won the game anyway. They certainly had enough time to accomplish that after "the call". And don't give me that tired old "momentum" line again. That's what makes a pro football team - the ability to turn momentum around and win against odds. The Pats did that last year. The Raiders didn't.

just sounds like sour grapes.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That is ridiculous. Get over it. :D You shouldn't fault a team because your feelings are hurt.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Stop your freakin whining this has been debated to death around here!
    The pats won last year and that's it, end of story, This is a new year.

14. If it was a "that's it, end of story" type situation why would it be "debated to death around here!"??;)

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you can throw away the offensive and defensive stats for both teams because its going to be about who makes big plays. last year the pats beat the number 1 and 2 defenses so a #1 defense doesnt guarantee you anything. its also easy to forget that the rams had the number 2 overall defense last year since their offense tended to overshadow that. last time the raiders won the bowl was against a redskins team with an offense that scored over 500 points and the #1 defense and still got blown out.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    AMEN!
    ...but-
    Didn't the Colts beat the Cowpies on the final play back in '71? A Jim O'Brien FG, maybe?
    This game was the 1st year of the merger(Colts, Steelers, & Browns joined the AFC)...game was dubbed "The Blunder Bowl". O'Brien missed an extra point after the Colts' 1st TD, a highly disputed play 'cause back in dem daze, only one offensive player could touch a pass(Refs ruled the pass touched the Colts' Eddie Hinton & then Cowboy Mel Renfro...& then fell into Colts' John Mackey's hands as he rumbled down the field for a TD.
    Also, Chuck Howley was the MVP...that maybe the lone time the LOSING team had the MVP.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Now see...I thought that was awesome!

18. OK, so Metallica hasn't been any good in years.. this still rocks:
    http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=645
    And, as a Raider fan, let me say I agree with Pacman and the others.. that was last year, this is this year. The Raiders are in the Super Bowl, and the Patriots are at home, violating the "tuck rule."[​IMG]
    I'm not making any predictions, just hoping for a great game. A little bummed out that the Raiders have to wear the white jerseys for this one, but that's the way the ball bounces. Go Raiders!!

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I really don't like Bob Rock.

20. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    not acording to superbowl.com