1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pirate music

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by funktastic, Mar 23, 2006.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Does anyone here have any idea how to play pirate-ish sounding songs? What are the patterns, and if there are songs that show how it really sounds, i'd appreciate it. We are doing a pirate show at my church, and i'd wanna do some real piratey sounding music. thanks:help:

2. just wear a bandanna on your hair. if your really into it you can cut of your hand and put on a hook instead. or if your a wimp you can just cut off your leg and use a peg. who need music when you have looks *cough kiss cough (no offense to anyone but imo they wouldnt be remembered if it wasnt for the makeup etc.

and i honestly dont know what you mean by "pirate music"

3. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    my great grandfather to the 10th power (approximately) was black beard the pirate, so take my advice, and listen to that last guy, i personally have cut off all my legs and hands and am fully functional with two pegs and two hooks. i play a mean slap

4. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    OH! that's so...genious:eyebrow: . Can someone that isn't being a little kid please give me a better answer? thank you:rollno:

5. funk_dat_jazz

funk_dat_jazz

Mar 10, 2006
    watch every episode of pop eye and you should be on your way to true pirate hood good luck and happy sailing

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    From playing lots of "The Secret of Monkey Island" I learned that pirate music is usually in minor keys and uses the harmonic minor scale. :cool:

Try chord progressions like this:

Am E Dm Am
    Am G Am F G Am

7. Pirate Metal is some of the funniest and stupidest music I've ever heard.
    For those of you who didn't know it exists: It does, and they (the pirates) take it very seriously.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

[​IMG]

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's not Pirates - the exact opposite in fact!!

So - the hornpipes were played by the Kings' Navy who were attacked by Pirates !! :eek:

That's like saying the Devil's music is hymns and masses!! :rollno:

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Pah! All sailors liked hornpipes.

The pirate hornpipe is distinct from the navy hornpipe only by the number of "Arrr"s and "Avast me hearty"s that are interjected between choruses.

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    6/8 time signatures and minor keys.

some irish music will get you close.

trust me. we have an accordian in my band. :)

13. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Use ARRRGmented 4th's

hehe sorry about that it just came to me....

14. What a marvellous thread.

Sea Shanties. That's what you're after, son.

Here's your starter for ten - 'What Shall we do With the Drunken Sailor'.

Make sure you sing it in a gruff accent though.

15. Oh, aye... I nearly forgot. 'Temples of Syrinx' by Rush is very piratey.

16. Bruce Lindfield

17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Nor did they play bass guitars.

http://www.scottish-fiddle.com/the_hornpipe.htm

I'm guessing the audience won't necessarily be naval music historians.

18. Umm.. Bruce... are you suggesting that, all those years ago, there was a definite division of musicial styles amongst seafaring folk?

Mods vs. Rockers
    Blur vs. Oasis
    Charvas vs. Goths
    Pirates vs. Navy

'Have you heard the new single from Cap'n Redrum?'

'Oh, no.. I can't stand pirate music. I only listen to Navy stuff. I've got the new LP from the crew of the HMS Mary Rose and it's GRATE!'

Marvellous.

No... I think that the music will be similar, but the words (if there were any - this is predominantly an instrumental medium) may differ.

It was all jigs and reels, innit.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Well - the King's Navy were British and would have been upright and starchy - fairly strict music ...

While Pirates hung around in the Caribbean a lot, smoked a lot - if you catch my drift - I'm sure their music would have been looser for a start and a definite rebellion against the hated Navy !!

I'm thinking a marriage of punk rebellion and caribbean rhythms - like an early Clash!! :)

Police and Thieves, I fought the law..etc.

20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Sea Shantys mixed with Ska? Hornpipe/dub fusion?

Hmm...

I like it.