Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pirates!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Mar 15, 2005.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Thats right, i want to be a pirate!

Pirates are still real! they attack around 150times a year... today they kidnapped some people... so pirates are real and they still sail around and do pirate stuff... i want to party with those guys!!!

Pirates are cool!!! i want to join and get me some of that spanish gold!!!!

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
  3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Not to mention, this topic has been done before. Do a search.

4. Neither is being overly sensitive about something so obviously intended to be ridiculous. :bag:

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's the funny thing about Pirates. They have a romanticized mythos surrounding them, a fantasy, glorification and overall false image about adventuring and living free and robbing from the rich and hidden treasure...etc.

when in truth.

pirates* were some of the most despicable people to ever walk the face of the earth, even worse than vikings or ghengis khan's war machine. They are nothing to ever want to emulate, in any way shape or form.

*specifically pirates from the 'golden age' of piracy in the Caribbean.

6. Plus ninjas are much better anyways, to continue the on going debate on this subject.

7. I agree. Ninjas own pirates, no contest.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Again, pirates vs. ninjas were done here before. Do a search, ninnies!

9. I'm a pirate. I steal music all the time

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Really? Any history book I've read does nothing of the sort. I've never heard of pirates' lives being dirty and disease ridden at best.

11. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I want to be a Pittsburgh Pirate!

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm just waiting for the day when the Buccos hold open tryouts in the middle of the season to everyone!

It's bound to happen, at least it might spice things up...

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's not history books that glorify pirates, which is what makes the whole thing even more interesting. It's like... there is no reason for there to be any glory behind pirates... at all. but somehow, there is a fantasy associated with pirates, making them out to be many things that they are not, including desirable. (worst offender recently would be the pirates of the caribbean movie, but there have been many more)

14. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah! One way to keep the team afloat - I'd gladly play for 1/2 the average salary of a Bucco.

I already know how to eat sunflower seeds, and I"m sure that after a few trips to the batting cages even I could hit .225

:p

15. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    if it was a thread about stereotypical fictional pirates it would be different.
    but kserg specified "they attack around 150times a year... today they kidnapped some people"
    kidnapping and murder is not funny.

i bet you wouldn't be calling me overly sensitive if i objected to a thread saying "duuudddee terrorists are way cool. they kidnap people and kill them and stuff like that. i wanna be a terrorist way bad!!!!".

same thing. in fact, modern day pirates kill more people each year than "terrorists".

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

we have Hollywood to thank for that.

i would rather just be a drunk yacht captain liberating hot women from the beaches of the carribbean islands. :D

17. As I recall, that movie made the Pirates out to be the "bad guys," aside from Jack, who ended up "becoming" a "good guy" towards the end. From what I can tell, the movie did nothing to glorify pirates.

18. Well, considering what they do on a day to day basis, modern day pirates are basically terrorists. So, yeah, I guess I stuck up for the guy who wanted to be a terrorist. :rolleyes: Better report kserg to the government.

"I want to join and get me some of that spanish gold." Man, he's definitely presenting an accurate description about pirates today, right? Give me a break.

I still maintain that being sensitive about a thread that is far from being serious is a waste, regardless of what it's about. It seems I've betrayed my own advice with this one... :meh:

19. Already on par with Randall Simon. Except you might play better defense...not knowing you or anything about you, I'd say it's a 50/50 chance. Gotta love Jason Bay, the Wilsons and Oliver Perez, though.

20. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I thought this thread was going to be about the most wonderful thing Sid Meier has ever made. I'm sad now.

P.S. The romantic mythos surrounding pirates stems from the fact that while yes, they were very mostly bad people, they were also preying on quite a few government ships. Ships of powerful governments. And people love to root for the underdog. There's also the whole plunder/pillage by day, drink and enjoy the company of buxom wenches by night that appeals to guys.

This is to say nothing of the utter badassedness of some of these pirates. Blackbeard used to stick burning cannon fuses under his hat when he went into battle so his face was always surrounded by fire and smoke to make himself look scarier. When he was finally captured and killed, he took five bullets and twenty hits with a cutlass before he finally died.