1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pisrastro chorda vs chorda carlos henriquez

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tito mangialajo, Oct 7, 2009.

1. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    hello,
    I'm curious to know the differences ( gauge, tension, sound), between the Pirastro Chorda and the new Carlos Henriquez set.
    I am on the way to try gut, at least G and D to match with Garbo A and E, and Chorda could be a choice (here in Europe the price is cheaper than in USA).
    thanks, Tito.

2. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    please, nobody has an opinion for me?
    thanks, tito.

3. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The Carlos Henriquez Chorda's (from here-out, C.H.) are lighter in tension and smaller in diameter than the Chorda's. The D and E string especially. They both have a similar sound, but the C.H.'s choke up a bit less as you go higher up the fingerboard. Of course, in my opinion, that has a lot more to do with your bass, your set up and your playing style than your strings. They both have a very old school sound to my ears, which is a bit hard to explain. I have used the Damian Dlugolecki gut strings, and have heard people playing on the Gamut strings, and both sound a little "Hi-Fi" to my ears, at least when compared to Pirastro's.

In my opinion, either the Dlugolecki's or the Gamut's would be a better match to the more modern sounding Garbo strings. If you were insistent on Pirastro's, I think the C.H.'s make more sense as a match.

4. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    thanks nathan,
    intersting suggestion.

5. William Hoffman

William Hoffman Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Lodi, California
    Tito - a lot of folks have been tryin the Garbo E and A with Gamut Lyon G and D with very positive responses. I haven't tried that myself yet, am happy with a full set of Gamuts for the last year and still going strong... But please post your impressions of the Chordas if you go that route...