1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pissed of at Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fatdadeez, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatdadeez

fatdadeez

Dec 19, 2007
    Is anyone else pissed off about the recent Fender 25% price increase? Personally I don't understand any increase in this economy... I'd keep my prices attractive to bring in buyers, but not arrogant Fender... the increase their prices on new and old stock 25%. How is that going to help fuel the economy? Where the incentive to buy. It has been irritating enough that they had increased prices 5-10% twice year, but the most recent one was 25%.... and they'll do another one in the fall. The Am Std jazz was retailing around $1050 but now its $1500. The geddy Lee was apprx. $800 but today I saw it for $1250. Thats HUGH in this economy. To me its no different that the oil companies hiking to price of gas for no good reason... except greed. There NO good reason for such an increase. Does anyone else feel the same way? Whats the alternative?

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Fender had a price increase? :confused:

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Do you feel any better now?

Wait.. wait.. Fender raised its prices? Man.. :atoz:

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Fender raised their prices? What?! :eek:

5. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Great minds sarcasm alike! ;)

6. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    OH MAH GAWD.

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Who is Fender?

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    hahahaha! I love it!:D

9. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    yeah it sucks. I guess I'll just play my SX

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think the boutique bass industry has allowed for this increase. I'm not saying that some of those custom jobs aren't worth it, but if people are willing to pay $4,000 for a bass....that sends all kinds of messages to the companies who make factory-produced instruments. Plus I give them a little slack because the price of everything has gone up, even the materials that Fender uses to make it's products. The GOOD news (not in general, but for someone loooking for a bass) is that because of this current economy, there are a LOT of people needing money and parting with their gear for low prices. I haven't taken advantage of anyone who has lost his job, but I did buy and Ampeg rig for about half price that was less than a year old. There are deals out there right now. And you can't swing a dead cat these days without hittng at least 200 used Fender basses for sale. Buy used ans stick it to the man!!!! (that'll teach 'em)

11. The only Fender I know is the one on my car. :meh:

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I am not pissed at Fender I love the Leo Fender designs, but I am not a fan of what comes out of Fender factories. I build my own Fender style instruments, that way it has all of the options that I want.

13. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    i can't afford fenders for my car :(

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I like Fenders (but I like other brands too) and last week I went to GC to try out the crop of new Fenders, including the Road Worns they had. I played a bunch, and inspite of the higher prices they all still sound like pretty much the cheaper Fenders of last year. ;)

Then I stumbled upon an '87 Peavey Foundation in nearly pristine condition and gave that a whirl. I was stunned, it killed every one of the Fenders I tried in both tone and playability. The price on the PV was embarrassingly low compared to the Fenders.

The Peavey must have liked me too 'cause it followed me home.

15. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Beacuse of this until now, unknown price increace?

16. man, did I miss a memo again? :meh:

Glad I have all the basses I need .... er ... um ... want.

17. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Eagle, you sold your Jazz?

And youre selling your Ric.

What is going on?!

Dark, he means he cant afford to keep a spare Fender in his car anymore.. poor guy.

18. yeah I can't believe Fender's gall either. I had to pay $2.95 for Fender 351 Heavy picks (12 pack). They were only $2.39 previously. Dirty, greedy bast****.

[​IMG]

19. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    And to think that $0.60 could be used for... Um.. Stuff.

20. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    there are 2 ways for a company to be profitable (read... survive).

1. sell a lot of product for a relatively low price (ie. get the business)
    2. sell a smaller amount for a higher price (ie. solidify the business)

for basses, a relatively low end item.... probably the best bet is just to get the business, and continually sell a lot for a relatively low price, so perhaps fender has made an error. However, just remember that it is all supply and demand, so if no one buys their products they will lower the price. So if you don't like their price, don't buy! don't worry about it. If everyone feels the same as you, they will have to lower prices eventually.

But whether fender was underpricing their product for a long time in order to sell more, and maybe they don't want to do that anymore... or they are actually in hard times and need to raise their margins to sustain any sort of profitability.... or they really just want to make more money cause they think they are a standard now.... we'll never know. But the bottom line is supply and demand, so if they raise prices too much, people will start buying something else, and something else will be the standard, and the cycle continues........

I love their basses... and would probably pay a little bit more for the one I have than I paid for it - they just need more suckers like me in the stores ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.