Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pissed-Off at Local Music Store

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I went to my local music store just now to pick up a new set of DR Lo-Riders for the upcoming school year. It turns out that they no longer stock DR Lo-Riders, only Hi-Beams, "Rare" Acoustics, and (yuk!) Black Beauties. I had to settle for either Fenders, Ernie Balls, or GHS's (I went with the Fenders because they are stainless steel like the Lo-Riders).

I think I maybe should have gone with the DR Hi-Beams. What is the difference between the Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams? Is the Fender Stainless Steel Strings or the DR Hi-Beams more similar to the DR Lo-Riders?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Why don't you just order a set of Lo-Riders from one of the many online retailers? I gave up trying to find my strings of choice locally years ago.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I wanted my set to be slightly used by the time I got to jazz next week so they don't sound clangy and don't break.

4. i know this is a little late, but...

i've never played fender super steels, but the only difference between lo-riders and hi-beams is the core. lo-riders are a hex core SS string; hi-beams are are a round core SS string.

i have used the round core nickel sunbeams quite a lot and found the touch to be considerably softer -- they have much more flex. i like how it feels, but if you play hard, you may want a stiffer string.

robb.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I've been looking for a pretty stiff set of strings, as I play pretty hard (2.0mm pick, arggressive metal band). Any suggestions?

Ray

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    In search of the stiffest string I’ve found SIT rock bright stainless steal strings to be the best in gauge (45-65-85-105). Their hard to find but you can get them at www.juststrings.com ;)

7. i played some ernie balls that were really stiff, as were the fender flatwounds i played once. i do not prefer stiff strings, so i found both experiences quite displeasureable.

robb.

8. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Wasn't there a post a couple of years ago about what one guy would do to new strings to get the sound he wanted - something about rubbing pizza on 'em...

:eek:

Disclaimer: I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS!