Pissed-Off at Local Music Store

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I went to my local music store just now to pick up a new set of DR Lo-Riders for the upcoming school year. It turns out that they no longer stock DR Lo-Riders, only Hi-Beams, "Rare" Acoustics, and (yuk!) Black Beauties. I had to settle for either Fenders, Ernie Balls, or GHS's (I went with the Fenders because they are stainless steel like the Lo-Riders).

I think I maybe should have gone with the DR Hi-Beams. What is the difference between the Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams? Is the Fender Stainless Steel Strings or the DR Hi-Beams more similar to the DR Lo-Riders?
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Why don't you just order a set of Lo-Riders from one of the many online retailers? I gave up trying to find my strings of choice locally years ago.
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I wanted my set to be slightly used by the time I got to jazz next week so they don't sound clangy and don't break.
  4. i know this is a little late, but...

i've never played fender super steels, but the only difference between lo-riders and hi-beams is the core. lo-riders are a hex core SS string; hi-beams are are a round core SS string.

i have used the round core nickel sunbeams quite a lot and found the touch to be considerably softer -- they have much more flex. i like how it feels, but if you play hard, you may want a stiffer string.

5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I've been looking for a pretty stiff set of strings, as I play pretty hard (2.0mm pick, arggressive metal band). Any suggestions?

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    In search of the stiffest string I’ve found SIT rock bright stainless steal strings to be the best in gauge (45-65-85-105). Their hard to find but you can get them at www.juststrings.com ;)
  7. i played some ernie balls that were really stiff, as were the fender flatwounds i played once. i do not prefer stiff strings, so i found both experiences quite displeasureable.

8. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Wasn't there a post a couple of years ago about what one guy would do to new strings to get the sound he wanted - something about rubbing pizza on 'em...