Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pissing Contest

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Robbi, Jan 6, 2003.

1. I've noticed other bass players in the area (mine anyway) always want to "race" when playing live as if they were in the vs mode in Mortal Combat or some Bull****.
    It's what I call the "Lick and Look" disease that these guys have.
    They play a LICK that they think is hotter than catching a Nuclear bomb, then they give you a LOOK like they should be crowned for it.
    Then you get them saying negative stuff about your playing, and how much you suck to people who know you, that they don't know you know and of coarse it gets back to you.

Don't get me wrong, I can hold my own, I've been playing seriously for about 10 years now, and am quite confidant of my skills... but if groups of bands get along, genuinely, and not in direct competition,the local scenes would improve. How about a mutual respect for each others abilities?
    There will always be somebody better than you, and always somebody not as good as you. That's a fact.

In my opinion, these sorts of 'Lick and Look' situations happen when someone feels inferior, and has somthing to prove.

Please discuss with me.

: )

saving my fingers for the bass now, panting and out of breath, I'm going for a smoke, I had to get that off of my chest.
    ( I think that rhymed )

R :confused:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Remember "Bass-off" on SNL? ;) :D

3. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Man I miss that bottomless lemonade that they really refilled.

;)

Peace
    Nick

5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Amen Brother! One thing I have always enjoyed reading about (and listening to for that matter) was the whole jazz scene in NYC back in the day. It seemed that nearly all of the prominent musicians on the scene interacted together and knew each other. Bassist X would play on Saxophonist Y's album and then sit in for two songs on drummer Z's new album, etc. It seemed like a tight knit group of musician's that valued and respected each other immensely. I have always wondered why this type of attitude dosen't seem to exist today. Not just on the local fronts but anywhere. The only thing I can think of that even comes close might be the Seattle scene in the early nineties where bands like Soundgarden & Pearl Jam (Temple of the Dog) or Alice In Chains & Pearl Jam (Mad Season) got together and made albums. Although, I will admit that I give some props to the Hip Hop scene for keeping this type of spirit alive since they often "feature" guest artists on their tracks but it doesn't seem like it happens often in rock especially on the local level where it seems that everyone is out for blood.

Whatever happened to U-N-I-T-Y ?

6. Thers none so bad as a bass snob. You all know them, the one who can do it so easy and when you ask for advice if you don't get it straight away they sneer at you! As an average player I'm always looking for tips and if we can't help eachother out who can we help? So come on bassists play it to the max but show paitence with the more sluggish musician and maybe one day they will show you a trick. Stand together and stop pissin' in the wind on your own!!!

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow, I've never heard of that from bassists. We bassists in Atlanta get along well for the most part.

8. I have to say that that was one of the funniest moments I've seen in the new seasons of SNL.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Can't say I've seen that with bass players. Most of 'em here in Ottawa that I know all support each other. Depends on the scene I guess.

10. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I've seen this also in band situations, where a bassist will play a technically demanding part. While complex, it destroys the music around it. What that player doesn't understand is that you want to write parts FOR THE MUSIC you are playing, rather than coming up with the hardest thing you can to show off.

11. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I agree completely. Many of the musicians I have encountered have a hard time of keeping themselves in check. Whenever I write basslines I try to come up with what I think is best for the overall feel or vibe of the song.

12. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Overplaying concerns guitarists and keyboardists more often than bass players. But no matter who does it, it does destroy the music around it.
    Of course, I am a creative overplayer whose parts are always good for the music. :)

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Originally posted by hibeam
    I've seen this also in band situations, where a bassist will play a technically demanding part. While complex, it destroys the music around it. What that player doesn't understand is that you want to write parts FOR THE MUSIC you are playing, rather than coming up with the hardest thing you can to show off.

I was playing for a church that never quite grasped that concept. They would want me to play in the pocket, and I was, but the minute I would a tasteful fill they'd accuse me of playing out of the pocket or if I came up with a somewhat complex yet tasteful line Id be accused of overplaying. Now if I just sat there and rode root notes on certain songs which Ive done, Im accused of slacking. I've always told them "Im the one playing the bass here not ya'll, Im totally playing what comes from the heart and what Im feeling at the time Im composing the line. That would more often than not get them off my back.

Why is it if you play complex lines, you're overplaying or showing off, but if you play a simple basic line you suck? :confused:

14. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    There is a fine line, IMO. It also depends on the song in question. For example, slower tempo songs or ballads usually don't call for "Hot Licks" or (god forbid) slapping, etc. There is a time and place for everything. Sometimes the Root is the most sensible thing to play to accompany the song even though in your opinion it may sound incredibly lame or may feel really boring. It really comes down to good listening skills more than anything else. If you play something and you think that it may sound too busy then it probably is.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    SF bassists have always been, in my opinion, quite supportive of each other. It's a very nice network.

16. I kinda like the 'Lick & Look' players, they amuse me to no end! Bravado often passes for competance. Many people in the audience can't tell a really good bassist from a mediocre one who is acting likes he's awesome. Until somebody calls them on it they will keep acting that way. And etiquette generally prevents people from saying anything about it, so they just keep on with their garbage year after year.

There's a way to combat it. Be excellent at what you do, and then do it with humility. It's guaranteed to completely irritate the 'L & L' guys since your competance is completely alien to them. They are going to slam you regardless of how you act or what you play, so why not take the moral high ground and refuse to play their game. As to the overplaying / underplaying thing, just play what the music calls for and what you know to be appropriate. You can't please everybody and in my opinion you shouldn't even try, it's pointless.

Around here many musicians give lip service to supporting other bands. They all say it, but only practice it if they think they are better than you. It's easy to tell when you've smoked them, they never say a word to you and leave muttering to themselves. I have to admit that in that kind of situation I enjoy being snubbed by other musicians! It tells me I'm doing something right.:cool:

17. You must be one of the smartest guys on earth... This is exactly how it should be "LESS IS MORE" you know what i mean?