Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PISTONS 35-5 !!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Jan 25, 2006.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    For those of us from Detroit, this brings back memories of a great Tiger team that started 35-5 in 1984 and went on to win the series. At this point I don't see anything keeping this team from another finals trip and another title. I know the NBA can change drastically with mid season trades, injuries, etc. This team wins the "right way", no prima donas, just guys who care more about winning then making the ESPN play of the day. They do Motown proud!

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    congrats. best team in the league.

after football season in detroit, you guys need something to be proud of! :p

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I haven't been paying much attention to the NBA because of the Steelers. From what I have seen, New Jersey looks like a pretty good team. They may have something to say about the Finals come the end of the season.

I'm with Joshua though, the Spurs are tough.

-Mike

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I was never a Pistons fan, but I must admit, this team intrigues me. I have kind of kept track of them throughout the last few years, and I agree with Burke....I don't see anyone stopping them (including SA) as long as they keep playing the way they are. I'll especially enjoy them disposing of the Heat in the playoffs so I can listen to Sedano WHINE AND CRY on Foxsports radio at night while I'm working.

5. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Joshua, Right now the Pistons own the Spurs. They have not only beaten them by 15 twice this year on national TV (once in SA) but they've outrebounded them by almost 20 per game. Unless Nazir Mohomed gets reincarnated as David Robinson or someone else who can Rebound, play D and chip in a few points, it's Tim Duncan against the Pistons three quality big men. Also TD needs rest bad, I think his foot injuries are worse then SA is talking about. His lack of mobility this season is glaring. The scarry thing about the Pistons is that the bench, (Delfino, Evans, Arroyo, McDyse) is just starting to really contribute and the starters minutes are way down from last year. Also Hunter will be back from his pre season injury soon and he may be the best on the ball guard defender in the NBA.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was fixin' to go research Burk's comments, but I decided not to. I can tell from the demeanor of your post that you know what you're talking about. OTOH, if I had seen anywhere along the way a "SA sucks, TD is a punk" comment, I'd be all over it.

Nice job Burk. I like the way you talk sports.

-Mike

7. 35-5 is pretty good. I really wish we got NBA games over here in AUS...The last time I got to watch the Pistons play, winning "the right way" for them meant fouling the hell out of the other teams... anyone remember the Jordan rules? hehe

8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The Pistons are killing it this year. I think the new coach has something to do with this. He seems to give the players more freedom then Larry Brown did. They can still play the best defense in the league and now they are a threat offensivly.

I don't get to watch any games because I have a roomate who watches the TV 13 hours a day, but when I have seen them they look great.

I don't think anyone could beat these guys as long as they stay healthy. But I do remember when the Red Wings won 62 games and got knocked out of the playoffs. Wings are famous for blunders though, the NBA isn't like that as much.

9. Don't worry, our team is doing pretty terrible this year, you're not missing much except a large loss column. (You're a rockets fan, iirc?) But I guess thats what happens when 4 of your starters are injured or playing hurt.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes sir, you remember correctly. I have been keeping an eye on the daily scores, which always seem to be showing a Rocket's loss. How disappointing. Besides McGrady and Yao, who else is injured?

-Mike

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    The Pistons are the best team in the league right now, no contest. However, there´s a loooong way to go till the Championship, and as a Spurs fan, I won´t be suprised if TD and the guys strike again.
    Parker is playing much better, Van Exel and Finley haven´t exploded yet and let´s not forget about Ginobili (yes, I´m from Argentina :D )

12. Bob Sura has been out all season, Rafer Alston has missed about half the season, and even Juwan Howard was out for a little while. Age is catching up to the club - David Wesley and Jon Barry have been really struggling all year. Heck, Stephen A. Smith predicted them to go to the western conference finals pre-season, and now we have the worst record in the western conference. Talk about decline in expectations!

Kinda OT, but I met Yao's parents last week at work. Nice people, though granted I spent most time talking to their translator.

13. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    One more point:

Does anyone remember which was the best team during the last regular season ?

Phoenix Suns.

14. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Good point, But Phoenix hadn't been there before (the playoffs) and didn't play "playoff styled" basketball (defense). Most people including me thought it was just a replay of the Dallas Mavs teams that would outscore everyone in the regular season and wilt in the playoffs. The Pistons are not only winning they're winning with Defense AND offfense, and they can play half court. I fully expect the Spurs to be in the finals, but they are not as good of a team as they were last year going into the finals. They are getting Zip from the center position (mohamad, nesterivivch), neither of who would be on the depht chart in Detroit, and Parker still has trouble guarding people. The Pistons are beginning to get good bench play from Evans, Delfino, Arroyo, and Mcdyse and unlike Larry Brown, Sanders is using his bench and the starters aren't avereging 40 minutes a game. Last year the Pistons were a very tired team by the finals and still pushed a better Spurs team to a seventh game (a very poorly officiated one at that-I hope the NBA realizes this season that the fans aren''t interested in seeing stars on the bench in foul trouble in the seventh game of the finals-for both teams). A lot can happen before the season ends, trades, injurys, etc. But if the finals were held today the Pistons would win in 5 or 6, They have been that dominent.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was afraid of that. When teams put together a collection of older players, they need just a few young guys to spark the team. I was really hoping Luther Head would be one of those guys. I haven't heard much about him thus far.

I am really disappointed so far. I knew the Rockets weren't going to come out and go 35-5, but I was hoping for over .500.

That's neat about meeting Yao's parents. Did they come for a tour of NASA?

-Mike

16. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree. They`re the best team, by far. They have little weak and improved even more since last season.

I believe they`re a little "short" cause the starting lineup plays most of the minutes. Many of their bench players play minutes when games are almost decided. The Pistons are the team to beat, and not many can do that.

17. Luther Head has been doing alright, I'd say, and I think he'll be a great NBA player one day, but he's still a rookie, and when McGrady was out he was the guy they turned to, which is asking a lot of a guy who before then hasn't seen a lot of playing time. Another year or two he'll be a great NBA player.

And yeah, they came for a tour of NASA, and happened to be on my tour :)

But honestly, this might be what the Rockets need. The pieces are there for something big in the future: McGrady, Yao, Sura (if he can stay healthy), and quite possibly a top 5 pick in the draft.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

'Word around the NFL: "If your team needs a win. Play the Lions".
    The reason the Spurs are enjoying a championship year was because of the conference record last season. I think Detroit's stratedgy is to get the best record and enjoy playing a majority of their playoff games at home. It gave the Spurs just enough of an edge.

19. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Pistons lost again tonight to Atlanta. That makes two losses in a row, their first losing streak of the season. They're no longer invincible!:(

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Detroit will burn out.