Pitch Shifter VS octaver ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 8, 2002.

1. I've been thinking of getting a Boss PS-5 pitch shifter.. according the site it can go from 2 octaves higher to 2 octaves lower.

could this be a good alternative for an octaver pedal ?
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got the Harmonist HR-2 and the Pitch/Shifter Delay PS-3. They sound very similar. 2 octaves down isn't useful for bass. My amp simply won't reproduce tones that low. 1 octave down works great. Tracking is fine. 1 octave up is good for an occasional effect, 2 up is a bit much for me. They are digital, so there is noise along w/ the effect. It varies w/ placement in the chain and isn't enough to bother me, especially at performance volume. I rarely use the other intervals, but I guess I like to know that I could. Same thing with the delay on the ps-3. It also gets a really great chorus that I would use, but it's a pain to switch between chorus and octave functions (not footswitchable). Sometimes the 1 octave down sounds a little out of tune, I don't remember having any tuning trouble with analog pedals, so I still sorta want an OC-2.
  3. my use for it would be to put the 1 octave higher signal thru some guitar effects, and then further down the chain, mix those effects back with the bass again :)

that way you can get really cool overdrive effects, and still get bass punch and lows.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Allodox, tell me how that turns out!

5. i believe that is similiar to what Tim from Rage does for overdrive and wah sounds.
  6. hey cool :)

since my name is Tim too :p

" all great minds think alike " ?? :p :D
  7. benevan

May 2, 2002
    Hey AllodoX, sounds like what you are looking to do can be accomplished with the Akai Unibass. It adds an octave higher plus a fourth or fifth higher than that to make a "guitar chord". The pitch shifted sound can be distorted or not. I've not tried one myself so I don't know of the quality or overall versatility.
  8. yeah but it's not only for overdrive ;)

it's also for use with a chorus etc.. i've made some experiments with a softsynth and it sound really wicked :D
  9. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, splitting the signal and effecting the high one is lots of fun. The dual outs add flexibility that most pedals lack. I like feeding one of these into the other -- you can get really high notes! The effected out all alone is cool for synth imitations. It loses some of the attack and has a slightly different envelope than usual, so it sounds synthy. These (and all my filters) are great toys that I rarely get to use in cover bands. I need to start a jazz techno band or something!
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Either that or all guys named Tim think alike. ;)How's did it work out for you?
  11. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Allodox - Have you tried the digitech whammy? I used one for years, and they're great for harmonizing / pitch bending. You can shift from an octave down to an octave up (octaver-style, mixed with your signal) from a 3rd to a 5th, 5th to a 7th etc. And, you can do straight up pitch bending with no dry signal. Pretty cool. It tracked better than my boss oc-2, and can handle chords no problem. I had the original red whammy, so I can't attest for the new one. Try it out. It's totally what you're looking for. Good sounding octave too.
  12. For your guy's sake I sure hope not. That Tim guy from RATM sure came across as a complete idiot; why Zak left the band I beleive. You folks all seem real nice and friendly-like...I'm sure the similarity ends with the name.

Make sure you get the original red Whammy, no re-issue's or "bass" whammies for sure. The original was made here in Victoria,BC and all others were just cheap knock-offs. I am in contact with the folks here at IVL and the electronics are completely different; "appartently" sub-par.
  13. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    tim and zack were friends before rage even began... in fact it was zack that asked tim to join in the first place because he's a great bassist

the only strange thing he ever did was climb in the rafters at the VMAs a couple years ago and ever since he's been labeled the band idiot.... puh leeze

as for why zack left the band, he was tired of metal and wanted to do his solo rap record
  14. The reason I brought that up was because of reading a comment by Zak that Tim's actions "were the final straw" for him so to speak. I don't personally care one way or the other.....