Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pitch shifters, amps, basses, guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by temporal7, May 28, 2003.

1. Sell only the Yamaha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sell the Yamaha and the Lotus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the Yamaha and the Stone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sell the Yamaha and the Peavey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sell only the Lotus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sell the Lotus and the Stone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sell the Lotus and the Peavey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sell only the Stone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sell the Stone and the Peavey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sell only the Peavey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Buy an electric guitar, pitch shifter, and amp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Buy a bass guitar, pitch shifter, and amp

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    note: this question was spawned by an earlier thread.

I currently own two used fender knockoffs (a Lotus and a Yamaha). Both were purchased for just over 100 dollars each.

I currently own two amps. The used one is by a company called Stone. It's not very good and I don't have specifics since it's currently on loan to a friend. The brand new amp is the Peavey Rage 158 Transtube. They were both around 80-100 dollars each.

I am currently in a casual local band. We have two acoustic-electric guitarists, an electric violinist, an electric pianist (keyboard), a ... harmonica-playing guy, and me. Up to now I've been on pure electric guitar, but I'd like to become the bassist. (Oh, and on a side note -- yes, we have no drummer :\) We don't play gigs or anything.

We have a Eurorack MX802a mixer. When we record, we usually run all instruments through the mixer, out to my Peavey amp, and then out of the amp to a computer.

Regarding genres, I tend to listen to bands "like" A Perfect Circle, Bush, Deftones, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Metallica, Nirvana, Opeth, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, and Tool, as well as a few random classical artists and some techno.

Further on genres: my band tends to write and play along the lines of Dave Matthews Band and Phish (jam etc).

I'm not sure if the genre info would conceivably help anyhow, but I figured I might as well say it ^_^

I play intermediate guitar and entry level piano.

So here's the deal: I want to play bass in the band, but also do some guitar in my free time. Ideally.. and I know this sounds weird.. I'd like to get a 5 or 6 string bass, an amp that could cover bass and guitar frequencies (a keyboard amp maybe?), a pitch shifter, and sell all my other equipment. I know this is absolutely bat**** insane -- but keep in mind that I mainly just tool around and play in the band for fun.

>>Is this a bad idea -- regardless of my style of musicianship, period?<<

>>Is it economically feasible? Could I use 200-300 dollars plus what I get from selling two amps and two guitars and buy the bass, the pitch shifter, and the amp?<<

Perhaps I should also mention that I prefer fretted, but I could.. possibly.. be persuaded to buy fretless. I understand they aren't very good for entry level players, though.

And again I'll mention that I _could_ be sold on a 4 string, but for some reason I'm really driven for that low B and possibly beyond, if price allows ^_^

(Before I considered bass, I always dreamed of buying a 7 string guitar. I like the appeal of bonus lower notes.. heh. Sorry that.. I'm weird)

Let me apologize for my idiocy in advance.

2. A multi-channel keyboard amp + two preamps (like a POD for guitar and a Bass POD) would allow you to do what you want. It'll cost you a hefty chunk of change, though.

Let's say:

Essex P-Bass = $100
    Bass POD = $350
    POD 2.x = $250
    Roland KC500 = $500

Total $1200. You could get a less powerful amp (KC100, $300) to save some money, but it won't sound convincing with your bass.

3. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    Interesting, thank you Southpaw.
    Any second opinions?

4. I think I was the only one brave enough to read your entire post. :p

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    You posted the same exact thing before and got maultipul feedbacks why did you post again? CLICK HERE

6. :eek: I've been had! :p

7. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    Err, Saetia.. in case you didn't notice.. I linked to the old thread at the very top of the this thread... heh.

The pitch shifter question is reasonably different from my original question.. and it likely would have gotten passed up if I didn't get the question under a thread title dealing with pitch shifters.

So as much as I appreciate your forum policing :rolleyes:, could we get some pitch shifting opinions instead?

Thank in advance :D

8. What would be the pitch shifter's purpose?

9. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    I want either bass or guitar, not both. The pitch shifter would be for playing in the "bass range" _and_ the "guitar range." That's why I need an amp that will cover both ranges.

So what does.. anyone.. think?

10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I completely didn't mean to sound like and @ss about that, you could of just changed the post subject, thats all. And I'm sorry I didn't notice that thread was underlined, sorry my mistake. The white stripes use a pitch shifter to make bass sounds. So it does work, but I see a more practical use in buying a bass, selling the amps, keeping one guitar which you could play through the new bass amp you buy, and still have the pitch shifter to use with your guitar if you want. In my expierience since I play both guitar and bass a guitar sounds very fine actually on a bass amp, just have to do some EQing, this way you would have one guitar left, and have a guitar plus 2 amps worth ontop of what you already have to spend, and you will get an amp that will more then needed do what you need for both bass and guitar, and you will also have the shifter for the guitar, best of both worlds. Sorry for reiterating myself, but just seems the most logical way to go about it. Well I hope more people answere your question.
    peace
    -Ben

11. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    Thanks very much Saetia and Southpaw, you've been incredibly helpful :)

And sorry about my harsh reply Saetia, that was uncalled for.

Now off I go to burn what little cash I have.. :bassist:

12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Its all good and I apologize as well :)
    Keep us posted on what you do buy, we are intrested!
    peace
    -Ben
    :bassist:

13. BTW, I'd forget about the pitch shifter... it ain't a proper substitute for a bass (nor a guitar). It's a neat effect when it's used sparingly, though.

14. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    Yea.. the more people that I talk to, the more I hear that I really should just have two seperate rigs. I'm just not sure I have that kind of money... :\

I could probably afford to have one guitar, one bass guitar, and one amp. But what kind of amp could I get (for not too much money) that can handle both instruments?

I hope I don't have to make that into a new thread, too D:

15. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    ...Or does anyone have any hope for the other situation..

Okay, three choices here:

A) One guitar, one bass guitar, one amp (please specify the amp)

B) One guitar, pitch shifter, and one amp (please specify the amp)

C) One bass guitar, pitch shifter, and one amp (please specify the amp)

Let's see what answers that yields.

16. My initial suggestion allows you to play both instruments through a single keyboard amp, but you'd need to get two PODs to get the best of both worlds. You could always compromise and get only a guitar POD, but you'd have fewer good bass tones available.

You could also buy a Fender Bassman - those bass amps are famous for producing great distorted guitar tones.

17. Option A is the only viable option, IMO. Get a Fender Bassman.

18. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    Duly noted!

Anyone else? I'd really like more than two people's opinions :(

19. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'd say get the Fender Bassman...go with a 400 or at the very least a 200 to push the bass tones...and go with one guitar one bass. Just my opinion...

20. temporal7

temporal7

May 25, 2003
    cool :cool:

anyone else?