1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pitchblack+ always on tuner mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CormacBass, Oct 1, 2013.

1. CormacBass

CormacBass

Sep 1, 2011
    San Diego
    Hello,
    I own a pitchblack+ tuner, I would like it to be always on but not mute my bass and then for the a/b switch to be able to mute the bass when needed. It seems like an option Korg should of included but its not there as far as I can make out.

Anyone tried doing this before? I have experimented a little but with not success as of yet.

This is what I'm working with.
    2iPOrDb.
    GM9LXuG.

Any help is appreciated
    Cheers

2. Without ripping it apart there is the option of getting a volume pedal that has a tuner out. Then it can be on all the time and to mute you just roll the pedal back.

3. CormacBass

CormacBass

Sep 1, 2011
    San Diego
    That's exactly what I'm doing at the moment but I'm trying to downsize my pedal board. I only use the volume pedal to turn down as I tune so I'm trying to find another way.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    tuner outs on volume pedals are tone sucks, as are volume pedals themselves unless done right, i.e., run after a buffer.

if you're just using the volume pedal to turn off the sound for tuning, skip it and get a simple A-B box.

the OP wants the tuner to always be tuning, whether he's muted the sound or not; modding a complex digital pedal full of tiny surface-mount components is likely near impossible.

what he needs is something up front with buffered stereo outputs, so he can run one out straight to the tuner (that's always on) and the other through the rest of the pedals and on to the amp.

some active A-B-Y splitter boxes will do this, or he could do like i do and put a pedal with a stereo out up front, with one going to the tuner and the other going through a simple A-B box to the rest of the signal chain;for me it's an EHX micropog up front, with the dry out going straight to my turbo-tuner, and the effects out going into an A-B box, and from there on through the rest of my pedals.

stepping on the A-B box kills the sound if i want, but the tuner is always tuning either way and is totally out of the signal path.

5. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I would start by ignoring the PCB and focusing on the bypass footswitch to see if you can rewire the footswitch to always send a signal to the PCB (send the input to the PCB and footswitch) and have the footswitch work to only cut the signal to the output jack.

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Having a tuner out on your amp would work exactly that but I take it yours doesn't?

7. CormacBass

CormacBass

Sep 1, 2011
    San Diego
    Unfortunately the foot switches are mounted right onto the pcb making this a lot more complicated. Thanks for the tip though.

I don't think the pedal has the necessary buffer or splitter to make this possible.

I was hoping to get that same set up as this carl martin tuner but with the great display of the pitchblack.
    http://www.carlmartin.com/manuals/manual_tuner.PDF

8. CormacBass

CormacBass

Sep 1, 2011
    San Diego
    Yes this is absolutely an option but some of the smaller gigs I do I don't use an amp. I DI and use in ears.
    My pedal chain at the moment is:
    pitchblack+ > Aguilar TLC Compressor > Aguilar Octamzier > Aguilar tone hammer.

9. CormacBass

CormacBass

Sep 1, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks for this, very informative. I'll do a search on active A-B-Y splitter boxes.