1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pitchblack Tuner quit working

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by loopee, Oct 11, 2013.

1. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    My Pitchblack tuner just quit on me today....only had it 18 months....2nd pedal to break down on me in one week...they say things come in 3's so I'm a little worried...I've been very lucky with all my gear for decades so I guess it was due....wondering if I should get another pitchblack or pick something else....I have 2 Boss TU-2 but don't like them as much....guess I'll have to sell some stuff so I can buy more.....

2. Willy B

Willy B Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Save your money and use the TU-2, or sell them so you can get the one you want. I've never used the TU-2 but it's probably the standard for good reason. There seem to be quite a few TB'ers having issues with the Pitchblack. I got one on clearance a couple months ago, no problems yet. The TC Electronic Polytune also seems popular if you're looking for something else. Also, Boss now makes the TU-3.

A search revealed to me that the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner is where it's at, if you're willing to spend more ($130).

3. I have a Pitchblack + that gave out on a gig after several years of trouble free use. Turns out, it was one of the 1/4" jacks that had worked loose. Just spun it back on, and it's all good again. Hope your problem is solved as easily.

4. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I recommend the Turbo Tuner, if you are looking for something new.

Its reaction time to input is super fast.

5. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Turbo Tuner....hmmm I'd forgotten about that one....yes $130....I might look into that one.....I like the Pitchblack cause it fits perfectly in my favorite bass's case....the TU2 is bigger and my case wouldn't close.....I usually use a pedalboard but when I go to pub jams I just want a tuner

edit: just checked out the Turbo Tuner....great accuracy but the strobe part of it bothers me...how easy is it on aging eyes? Also, I can't power my pedals on my board with it like the Boss or the TC.........

I just got another Pitchblack because it's easier to see than the TC but I might just get the Turbo Tuner a bit later for intonation purposes

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Good excuse to upgrade to a TC Polytuner!

7. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    My guitarist had his pitch black go down as well and it was something with one of the jacks. I wanna say we just used some contact cleaner on it and the problem was solved.

8. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    well I dropped mine from a table (3 feet) and now it won't do anything.....I decided to drop it again to see if it would do anything and one side of the tuner came to life (the flat side) but it won't tune....tempted to drop it again....lol....bought a new one anyway

9. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The turbo tuner is pretty easy on aging eyes I have cataracts in both eyes right now and have no Issues seeing it. I also don"t understand your saying you can't power it like your TU-2 it takes a nine volt Battery or a 9 volt external same as most other pedals. Just to clear this up for others that might read this thread and get the wrong Ideas.

10. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I think you misread my post...I never said I don't know how to power my pedals....I've had pedals since the late 60's, I think I know how to use them...lol......what I'm saying is "the TU2 CAN power my other pedals on my board....the Turbo Tuner does not have this capability"........I never said I can't power my TU2 !!!! By the way I also have a cataract (and near and far-sighted) which is why I need a large display which the TC Polytune does not have....I'll be getting the Turbo Tuner for intonations.......and bought another Pitchblack because the display is big and has a DC out so I can power my other pedals.....

11. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Your original post said your pedal "just quit on me today" like it was for no reason. Now you say you dropped it from a table and then dropped it again. It think there lies the problem with your pedal.

12. open it up and fix it.

pedal repairs are usually very easy.

13. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    OK, I'll be more precise....
    What happened is that the PB quit on me as I prepared myself to jam so I put it on the table tuned my bass using someone else's tuner and played a few songs at a jam....then I got back to the table to pick the PB and put it away and it fell off the table....it was already broken before falling......the next day, in a moment of silliness, I decided to drop it and see if it would do anything, and it actually did bring the display back, but only on the left side and it still won't tune......

OK? LOL

LP

14. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I did....I know nothing about pedals but I poked around and saw nothing out of order (though I have no clue what to look for other than worn solder or broken wires) so I closed it up and contacted Korg....still waiting for a reply....waiting....waiting....