1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pitchblack

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Audiophage, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    First of all, I'm kind of a novice when it comes to upright amplification. I've more or less avoided it in the time that I've been playing upright and only now have been put in a situation where it is required. Anyways I figured that I'd save a little bit of time and use my Korg Pitchblack tuner from my electric rig. However, when I engage it in true bypass it pops. This only happens when I use it on my upright. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I could fix it?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Speculation time here. The extremely high resistance of a piezo pickup is allowing electric charge to build up on the input terminal of the tuner, which is discharged when you flip the bypass switch, resulting in the pop.

Is there anywhere else that you can plug in the tuner, such as the effects send output?

What are the details of your signal chain, i.e., the type of amp, and any other gadgets?

3. I had a similar experience when I did a fly-in show and used rented back line (brought my own bass and Pitchblack tuner). Turns out that they had mistakenly supplied a speaker cable instead of an instrument cable - we replaced it and the popping went away.

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I found this happens with every amp I've tried it on. For upright I'm only using the pitchblack in the signal chain.

I'll try using my effects loop but do you think maybe a DI or a preamp would help?

5. cacophonic

cacophonic

Mar 18, 2008
    San Francisco
    I have the same experience using a Schertler Stat-B, which has its own dedicated preamp.

With the Stat-B pre connected directly to the Pitchblack, switching the tuner in and out creates a loud POP (or maybe it was just switching it out--can't remember now).

Normally, however, I use an EQ pedal (Boss PQ-4, no longer made) between the Stat-B and the Pitchblack. With the EQ in the chain upstream of the tuner, there is no POP when the tuner is switched in and out.

Given the above, a preamp may or may not solve the problem, depending on the circuit design of the pre. Certain DI boxes provide isolation between the source and output, which would likely do the trick, but unfortunately most DI boxes only provide an isolated signal to a balanced (XLR) output, which may be difficult to implement in your system. There really ought to be be preamp or DI on the market that provides an isolated signal to both a balanced output and a 1/4" unbalanced output, but I don't know of one (and it would likely be expensive). Perhaps someone else on TB can provide a recommendation.

The easiest solution may be to use the Pitchblack in the effects loop of your amp. It seems certain that a variety of preamps, pedals, and maybe even some DI boxes, would solve the problem, but my experience is limited to the Schertler through the PQ-4.

I've found the Pitchblack to be a great tuner. Hope you can find a suitable solution.

bob