Pitchfork's top 100 albums of the 80s

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Nov 19, 2002.

1. head on over to www.pitchforkmedia.com to check out the list. i think they did a great job overall, although "Nothing's Shocking" by Jane's Addiction should be a lot higher.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The scope is way too narrow IMO, it's mostly indie/alt. and some pop. They also seem to like SST bands a lot, which isn't too bad though.
  3. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Pitchfork knows what's up.
    Although, yeah, is Bad Brains even on there? And they have Rites of Spring and Minor Threat but where's Fugazi?
  4. hmmm, good catch about fugazi. the material from the 13 songs album was 80's. i agree about bad brains too.
  5. One has to put Double Nickels on the Dime higher than that.

Also, I think giving Duran Duran props from Rio while implicitly trashing Japan's godly Tin Drum is just plain foolish, but whatever.
  6. Its certainly a nice breath of fresh air compared to all the crappy retro-80's stuff going on.

Funny how there was once a time I never thought anyone would dare recycle the 80's, oh foolish foolish me.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Of course I don't agree with the entire list and I'm sure few people would completely agree with ANY top 100 list but I am quite pleased to see Remain in Light as #2. That's a mindblowing album.

It always irks me though to see The Pixies "Doolittle" ranked above "Surfer Rosa." I feel Surfer Rosa is by far the Pixies greatest album. I'm in the minority though I guess.

I think Daydream Nation has no business being in the top 10 though.

brad cook
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Fascinating list. I would have put "Appetite for Destruction" higher, as well as "Joshua Tree", "Purple Rain," "Thriller" and "Synchronicity" but that would be a reflection of my personal taste rather than that of the good folks at PitchFork.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I agree that there's too much indie/alternative. Ghost In The Machine and Synchronicity (Police), Graceland, and Thriller should have been much much higher.