1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pitchshifting---a blind shootout for your perusal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, Oct 6, 2014.

Which pitchshifter does the best job?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2014.
  1. A

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. B

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    With the arrival of my Digitech Drop, I felt I owed it to myself and everyone to do a test of the various Pitchshifters I now own on my board. These are:

Digitech Drop
    Morpheus Droptune
    Eventide Pitchfactor (Pitchflex algorithm)
    Line6 M6 (Pitch Glide effect)
    NOTE: I will randomize the order of these pedals in the clips below.

So, here is why I did. I recorded a bass line with my Infinity Looper and a Beat Buddy. It's a Musicman StingRay 5 with relatively flat EQ on the onboard preamp. I run the Looper first, then into my board.

Compression is applied (Empress Compressor). I didn't make this as uniform as I wanted to, because I just went with my board. So the compression is after the Drop and Droptune, but before the Pitchfactor and M5.

At the end I'm running a B7K with the blend fully CCW (dry, no "color") but adding a little bit of EQ. Then this is into a Beat Buddy, into the USB interface of my guitar amp, into Audacity on a MacBook Pro 15. I attempted some noise removal because for some reason I'm getting noise in my recording setup (which doesn't seem to exist when not recording). I also did some normalization. For something quick and dirty with someone who has virtually no recording experience, I hope the EQ and mix are acceptable.

In addition to the noise, I would like to apologize for any sloppy playing---some parts definitely sound better than others. I did a handful of takes, but mostly I was trying to do something quick in various styles. I start with a riff on the E and A strings, then I go to some root-5th-octave power chords on the A/D/G strings. Then I do some two-note chords with the open A string, including a minor 10th. Then I move to some slap in E, then I go to a riff down into the B string.

For each shifter, I test it at 1, 4, and 7 half-steps down. I have a dry sample for comparison.

Note that the Beat Buddy starts the Infinity loop automatically. This means that any latency you hear compared to the dry sample is real.

Here's the dry:

I'll post the remaining clips in the next posts. Again, remember that A, B, C, and D each represent a different pitchshifter, and it's consistent between 1, 4, and 7 half-steps down. (But randomized and hidden for the moment until I get your blind opinions.)

Please, your votes and comments are welcome!

mikewalker, oZZma, TitaniumRx and 3 others like this.
  2. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    1 Half Step Down:

Mosfed likes this.
  3. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    4 Half-Steps Down:

Mosfed likes this.
  4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    7 Half-Steps Down:

Dan Bass, ryansalmond and Mosfed like this.
  5. PseudoSpaceman

PseudoSpaceman

Jul 5, 2009
    A for 1 down, B for 4 down, and D for 7 down. I guess I am of no help.

6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    All I'm going to say for now is, very interesting.

7. I think A is consistently the best, and B the worst. Can't decide which I like better of C and D. I also think that the difference in sound quality gets smaller the lower they drop.

(I hope A is a cheap one, because I kinda want it).

8. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I will also say that it's hard for me not to be biased, since I know what is what. However, I do feel one in particular stands out as the worst for tracking the lowest notes. I'm having a harder time deciding between the other three.

9. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Two more notes: I definitely recommend headphones rather than laptop speakers, it helps you hear what is going on down low. And I intend to do the same thing on guitar, if I do maybe I will post clips here as well.

10. aetheriac

aetheriac Supporting Member Commercial User

May 15, 2011
    Minnenapolis
    D would be my go to out of the 4 choices.

Dan Bass and alecduncan like this.
  11. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Only had time for a quick listen, but I'll say B slightly wins for me overall.

12. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Did you have a clear 2nd place and/or loser, or did you find them similar across the board?

13. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Probably A for 2nd place. I didn't notice a huge difference overall, but I didn't have time to really thoroughly listen to them.

14. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I would say consistently I liked B the best followed closely by D. I think overall my decision was made on how each sounded the lower they went.

15. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    My opinion was based largely on the same... quality of tone and tracking on the lower drops.

16. A and D are tied for 1st in my book. C is 2nd. B is 3rd.

17. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Apparently, B is pretty polarizing, as two people have declared it the best and two people have declared it the worst. I actually want to listen to these again today and try to do it as objectively as possible. I got kind of sick of my own riffing as I was recording the same thing over and over again last night.

18. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I prefer A and D, but I prefer A likely because it's a little louder.

19. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I wondered if volume would have an influence, but because of my setup and process---same looped signal in, processed/normalized the same way at the end---all volume differences (at least, if you can compare them to the drums) are real.

20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Good work. Did you have a feel for which has more latency? (We can talk about that after the poll closes. Just throwing it out there for future discussion.)