1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pitt Bulls Laws, your opinion

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I personally think that people have made these dogs to unpredictable and dangerous to be around any humans at all, let alone children, and its not the dogs fault, and I know people are going to suggest that owners should be the ones who take the ultimate penalty when a mauling takes place, but in the meantime, what about the person on the other side who has to suffer from the attack. These dogs do make me as a parent very uneasy when I know one is living near by. I do believe some states have banned them all together? So what are your thoughts? check out the clip below..................

San Francisco has a law and here is a clip/link from it below...............

"The new ordinance is designed a reaction to another vicious dog bite attack where a 12-year-old boy was mauled to death. The ordinance takes effect January 1, 2006, and requires owners to spay or neuter the breed, and get breeding permits from the city."

http://commonlaw.findlaw.com/2005/11/san_francisco_p.html

2. To a degree, you are right, it depends on how the dog has been treated etc.

But dogs like that also tend to have an unpredictable nature. Ill probably get some pitbull owner turning round and saying theres isnt, which is fine, as not all dogs will fall to the nature of thier breed.

I dont think anyone should leave thier children alone with a dog, and i have always had dogs and have never had any problems, but you can never be 100% sure, the dog might not like being poked in the eye by a young child and may retaliate!

On a related note, but i cant find anything to support this so i might be imagining it. But im pretty sure the majority of reported dog bites are from labradors

3. As I mentioned in another thread, I've owned several of them and have been around pits all my life. My kids were raised around them as well. Here in FL, I have a good friend that hog hunts and has several pits that were fighters that he rescued. Right now, he has about 12 on his farm. All are very people friendly, none are tied or even crated. They are very well cared for, I've seen his vet bills :( Even the worst ones have been socialized in to stranger friendly dogs. His wife takes them to obedience classes 3-4 times per week! I've had all of them in his airboat, by myself at the boat ramp. Not what I had planned but they all greated strangers and behaved just fine. When they are in the truck, ANYONE can reach into the dog box and pet them, they LOVE that!!

IHMO, they make great dogs but shouldn't be kept in an inner city envirionment. Keeping one in an apartment with no room to run is stupid. They need lots of room and exercise several times per day!! I also feel that to own more than one, it should require some sort of licence. This would allow random visits from animal control to check on the care and keeping of the dogs and regulate breeding/selling.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Dangerous Dogs Act of 1991 is often criticised in the UK for being a rushed piece of legislation and for being too vague in the terms that it uses. Debate over it was recently reopened with the spate of dog attacks on young children that have occured recently in the UK.

5. I cannot imagine what kind of life a dog must have had, prior to mauling a child. :rollno: My kids would put ours through HELL and never got as much as growl or mean look.

6. The british government, rushing a legislation, never :eyebrow:

:smug:

I dare say, just like with people, you get some which a friendly, and some are just jerks!

+1 on them needing room to get out and about.

7. I agree, some pits can be more friendly than others. They are all strong willed and stubborn. Most need a strong hand from when they are pups. If you can't take their food away while they are eating or hold them on their back, they need the strong hand aplied!! Many people just can't do that. Yelling BAD BOY to pit does no good. I'm not saying they need a beating but you need to make them YIPE or your not getting your point across. If the owner lets the dog have his way or encourages bad behaviour, then you have a problem.

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I have read that labradors are quite high on the list, but of course it is also one of the most common dogs (and no list I've ever seen has been corrected for the breed population size). Another question is how many labrador biting incidents are fatal compared with other breeds.

9. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    There is no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner

BSL is a bunch of **** and has too many idiotic supporters where I live who have been brainwashed by it.

10. My family had a Pit Bull for 13 years that was the most amazing dog I've ever came in contact with. She was so gentle and caring that it really surprised everyone that knew her. She was a gem... I've also known many owners that have the same story.

When will people realize that it's in the way you raise them. Just like any other breed. These dogs are targeted because of their size and abilities. People take those qualities and ruin these dogs lives. They're treated like inanimate objects and when people are done with them, they dispose of these dogs like trash. In barbaric and sadistic ways that would make anyone with half a heart physically sick.

Don't blame a breed for the downfalls of humanity...

11. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Point well taken.

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It's about the same as condemning all Muslims for the acts of a few that where trained to be nut-balls.

13. well aybody want about 16 miniarature-great-pits??? :D

14. I was just stating it, as people seem to think its mainly terrior breeds that do the biting, i agree it isnt really completelly valid tho.

And you are right, the differences in how far the dog will go, is also partly down to breed.

15. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Why is the dog to blame? Give me an honest answer

16. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Then is it safe to say that in your opinion, that this breed of dog is no more of a threat to attack than most other dogs under the same condition?
    Not trying to put words in your mouth.:cool:

17. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I personally do not think the dog is to blame, I believe it is the results of people who abuse them and train them to be killers. but I do believe these breed of animals are far more aggressive than most other house dogs, and the fact that they have so much strength in their bite and hold on to their victim with a death grip, well makes me a bit uneasy if I am ever around one.

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    100 years ago bulldogs had the same reputation...

19. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I've been around many pits, they are extensions of their owners. Most have been the sweetest and gentlest dogs ever. But if their owners suck, they can get mean, no different than any other dog. It's the whole locking jaw thing that creates problems.

20. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Have you ever owned a pit bull or known people who have one?

If you haven't, then you can't judge one. Like my mom said, don't judge a book by it's cover. And the locking jaw myth is a bunch of crap. And they aren't agressive, they are only if a crappy owner makes them to be.