Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pittsburgh scene

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by .matthew e wengerd., Sep 28, 2005.

1. Tell me everything I need to know about the Pittsburgh area!

I'm considering relocating to the area next spring and want to know all I can. It looks like I'll be teaching Secondary Music for a bit and possibly going off to grad school thereafter. Tell me about:
    • The Neighborhoods
    • The Schools
    • Carnegie Mellon's music dept.
    • The Jazz/Funk and rock scenes
    • Good teachers
    • Good music stores
    • Anything else of value
    I'm from the Cleveland area, if that's of value in comarison, but I've been living in Florida for 5 years. Please help me get an idea of what I can expect and help my wife and I make a good decision!

2. I lived in Pgh from 89-00. For recordings, check out Eide's records. For guitars and basses, the guys at Pittsburgh Guitars are cool. They're on Carson Street in the southside, which has decent coffeehouses/bars/restaurants.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Pittsburgh also has a rich jazz history. As for living, most of the nicer places are in the 'burbs but the downtown area is coming back to life. Mt. Washington isn't a bad area, either.

4. The history's good; how's the current scene?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Leave all your crappy old Browns stuff in the garbage, and buy yourself a Terrible Towel. :)

-Mike

6. Sorry to see that you'll be leaving us in Florida. I moved here from Pittsburgh in 1986. While I can't really say anything about the scene, I can echo that the suburbs are great places to live. It's just such a cool city and sometimes I wish I could go back.

Good luck to ya.

7. I don't know what kind of reaction this will elicit, but I really couldn't care less about major league sports :ninja:

I did, however, see the Indians' first home opener at the Jake.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That is not a problem at all. I was just trying to save you some grief if you happened to be a big Browns fan. Good way to get yourself beat up is to walk around Pittsburgh wearing anything with the Browns logo on it. :D

-Mike

9. Thanks for the wishes. It's still 8 months away, but we've never considered ourselves Floridians. I came down here for a college I wound up hating and, two years later, dragged my then fiance down to attend said college. She transferred out in time, I wasn't so lucky.

Anyway, come December, she graduates and we are no longer "tied" to Florida. I'll finish up my year of teaching and consider moving to a place with four seasons. Varying factors made Pittsburgh a top contender.

********Any teachers in the Pittsburgh area?***********