Pittsburgh TBers!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by .matthew e wengerd., Sep 28, 2005.

1. Tell me everything I need to know about the Pittsburgh area!

I'm considering relocating to the area next spring and want to know all I can. It looks like I'll be teaching Secondary Music for a bit and possibly going off to grad school. Tell me about:
    • The Neighborhoods
    • The Schools
    • Carnegie Mellon's music dept.
    • The Jazz and Classical scenes
    • Good teachers
    • Good music stores
    • Anything else of value
    I'm from the Cleveland area, if that's of value in comarison, but I've been living in Florida for 5 years. Please help me get an idea of what I can expect and help my wife and I make a good decision!
  2. I just replied to your other thread in the BG forum. If you're into DB, there is (or was at least) a good luthier on 11th street in the southside. I forget his name, I believe he called his shop "Pittsburgh Violin."

3. I think I know the guy. If I recall correctly, he was looking at relocating to my present location (Central Florida).
  4. craizbass

May 31, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My teacher is the jazz, bass & jazz bass director at CMU.
    Nathan Davis (you know, famous jazz sax) is also around, he's the jazz director at Pitt.
    Joe Negri (jazz guitarist and handyman neigri on Mister Rogers) is also around.
    I also read in BassPlayerMag that Billy Cox (Jimi Hendrix's right hand man/bassist) grew up around here.

And ofcoarse we have the pittsburgh symphony, which is like in the top ten of america i think

So you could say that pittsburgh has a pretty good music scene:cool: :D
  5. CMU and Duquesne U are the big music schools. Jeff Turner, Principal of the PSO teaches at Duquesne.For bass repair, take a look at wallace bass shop in the north side. He works out of the house, very personalized service. Can't say much about the music scene, I haven't been there for a while.
  6. pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Just caught your thread. I grew up here in Pittsburgh and I've been playing bass professionally since I graduated high school in '91. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the scene, especially jazz stuff. Email me.