Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by topbassman, Jan 28, 2006.

1. topbassman

topbassman Banned

Mar 3, 2005
    The great James Krummenacher has announced his retirement after 50 seasons with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.

The orchestra is yet to announce whether it will decide to fill the position.

2. Allan Santos

Allan Santos

Dec 17, 2005
    According to what I've read, the PSO is in a hire freeze untill the current contract expires in 2008.

Allan

3. bierbass

bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I get the distinct impression that the ____________ they are refering to plays in the Boston Sym. If the mods would care to pull the plug on this one too...

Edit: Cleaning up a refwerence to a troll dropping

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I appreciate the sentiment, but i think it's time to start evicting the trolls from under the bridge instead. :)

Now, if anyone has any actual useful information to pass on about the Pittsburgh auditions, please share it.

5. topbassman

topbassman Banned

Mar 3, 2005
    jeff grubbs is also leaving the orchestra this season---the orchestra will fill the position(s) in 2007.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Where's Jeff going?

7. What I have heard is that Jeff Grubbs is going to be head of the jazz department at the University of Illinois. He is a a great jazzer as well as a solid orchestra player (and a super nice guy, from what a few guys I know who have studied with him have said, although I can't say from personal experience), so good for him!

Rumor around the town has it that the Pittsburgh Symphony is going to audition for only one spot, so they will have only eight full-time bass players. I hope that this isn't true; it's a really great orchestra, but they don't get the recognition that they deserve. And their starting pay was something like $98,600 last year, even after they made concession (according to their contract, it was supposesd to go up to $101k and change!), so it's a damned good gig to have. I really hope that they have two openings, but... what I have been told is that the audition won't be until the end of next season.

8. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Just to chime in...

I'm not an orchestra guy -- jazz only...

Jeff Grubbs is a wonderful fellow and a heckuva player. I was lucky to hang with him on a lesson last year when I first moved to town. We have a mutual friend in pianist Chip Stephens -- who I believe has been in Illinois teaching as well.

If Jeff leaves town, it will be a big loss for us here -- but a big gain for where he ends up.

Sorry -- not very relevant info on the audition thread. But you are right about the salary...Pittsburgh has a strong orchestra...hope it continues to draw good people and ample funding.