Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pix/clips of walnut bodied Cirrus basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 15, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    So, I'm contemplating what my next bass might be, and among the contenders is a second Cirrus to go with my alder/maple/pau ferro one. I would go with a walnut-bodied one to offer some contrast to the sound of my current one...

Anyone have pictures of a walnut or bubinga topped Cirrus? Yes, I've seen the small pics on Peavey's site, and an old Peavey brochure PDF that portrays a bubinga-topped model that doesn't look like *any* Cirrus I've seen elsewhere. Also, anyone have any soundclips of a walnut-bodied model? I have heard a clip that is supposedly Andre Gouche (Sp?) on a bubinga/walnut, that has been referenced on TB before, but anyone got anything else?

Does anyone know if the walnut topped model has a laminated top, or if it's all body wood? I did run into one once during a brief stop at a music store I passed on the highway in Ft. Worth, but the guy couldn't tell me if the top was walnut or bubinga... and I'm not savvy enough to tell...

Thanks in advance... :)

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I attached a picture of my bubinga/wanut C5. It's not the best but hopefully it gives you more of an idea than the pics from the Peavey site. The bubinga top has more of a reddish tint or hue to it than walnut. The walnut of my bass has more of a milk chocolate color to it but not exactly. It has an oil finish which looks very natural. If you pull up the Cirrus manual from the Peavey site, the bass on the left on the cover page is bubinga.

As far as I know the walnut verison has the same finish. There is a Claro Walnut version that has what I suspect is a polyurethane finish. Maybe that's what you saw is that store that you visited.

Are you sure that the sound file that you have is of Andre Gouché? I could have sworn that he is an MTD guy. Now I have seen and heard Maurice Fitzgerald play a bubinga C5. He's also played on several Gospel tracks.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It is highly likely that I am confused and incorrect on this point... :)

Thanks for the pic!

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Here's a couple shots of my fretless Claro 6. It does have a great gloss finish instead of oil and plays as good as it looks. If you have any questions, give me a shout!
    Thanks

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, MJ! Your two Cirri are apples and oranges with frets/without, but if you've ever had the opportunity to compare otherwise identical walnut vs. alder/maple instruments, I'd welcome and appreciate your thoughts on the sonic differences... :)

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    The biggest difference between the two sonically is the cutting sound of the maple/alder versus the warmer midrange of the walnut. In addition to the obvious fretted nature of the maple/alder instrument, I find it to be noticeably brighter in sound, quicker attack, very precise. It cuts through with great articulation and still projects great low end too. The Walnut/Claro has a softer attack (fretless - of course) but has a fuller midrange and fatter tone in the mids and low mids. The fretless is thick and full. This could be due to the walnut/maple neck as well as the body woods.
    I know I've used a lot of typical buzz words here but I hope this helps.
    I've found the same characteristics in the maple and walnut Ken Smiths that I've played before too.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    No pics, but I can say that the Claro Walnut 5er that I saw in a store looked absolutely phenomenal! Wide variation of colors and beautiful figuring, for my taste far better looking than the tiger eye model, or for that matter, just about anything other bass I've seen.