1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pix of dual/triple course (octave) basses: 8's, 10's & 12's...etc.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-raj, Jun 15, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I couldn't find a thread about this. I know that there are TB'ers out there that have these kinds of basses (8's, 10's, 12's, 15's... and even 18's)... so go ahead and post them.

Here is a picture of my recent purchase!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That thing looks pretty sweet. I need to check that out at some point.

You knew it was comin :D :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    ^nice...

Jason, of course I knew that you would be in this thread, I wasn't expecting you to be here this soon... :ninja:

Oh BTW, feel free to try the 10'er out anytime...

4. Bassmonkee, do you have soundclips of the 8?

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--Yeah, after 5 hours of Forecasting and Business Calculus, it just so happened that the first time I could check out TB today was three minutes after you started this thread. :ninja:

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I don't have anything online at the moment, but I do have some recordings around here somewhere....

7. I've often wondered what a double-coursed fretless would sound like, particularly as it seems fairly common to add an octave effect(to a 'regular' fretless).

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Here is mine. You've probably seen it, or the USA version before.

Hamer CH12

[​IMG]

Action shot

[​IMG]

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    How do you like the Dean, J-raj? Is that a low B or a high C?

Is it neck-heavy?

10. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Like your Hamer Jeff. Here's my eight string that I sold last year. It was one of my favorite basses in my original band, but my finger tips didn't like it much. I bled all over this bass at a few gigs.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    here is my not played much Galveston 12ver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    geshel,

I'm having a blast on this bass... yeah it's a tad heavier than my 5'er. About 2.5 pounds at least, but balances well.

The extra string is lower, a low B and it's higher octave. Very comfy to play... I feel right at home on it.

...sweet hamers, thx.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My Hamer B12S.

14. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Here's my Galveston 12:
    [​IMG]

I've since gutted the ultra-crappy electronics and put in a Bartolini preamp and a set of Duncan actives - REALLY woke up the tone on the bass... a LOT. A Recommended Upgrade. (It did take just a little bit of routing on the pickup holes).

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think that I'm going to change out the pre in my 10'er, as well... Hopefully an Aggie 3-band pre. I wonder what other p/up's fits the route on my Dean?

16. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Wouldn't be surprised to find that the Deans are the same pickup routs; all I know is that the duncans missed by about 1/8th of an inch at most. They were real close, but a little judicious use of the dremel fixed that. :)

And the Duncans were perfect - they have a real "bell-like" top end, which suits the octave strings perfectly. With the three band eq on the Bart preamp, I've got lots of control. Now if I only had more reason to play it...

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pondering that mod for my Dean at the moment... I'm buying a pre this week and I'm going to try that first with these existing p/ups... if that still isn't the trick, the p/ups are going to be changed out next.

I recently placed a strip of black electrical tape over the pole pieces on each of the p/ups... this has eliminated some of the 'klank' when I was playing more aggressive. The strings were coming in contact with the pole piece from time to time.