Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pix of dual/triple course (octave) basses: 8's, 10's & 12's...etc.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-raj, Jun 15, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I couldn't find a thread about this. I know that there are TB'ers out there that have these kinds of basses (8's, 10's, 12's, 15's... and even 18's)... so go ahead and post them.

Here is a picture of my recent purchase!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That thing looks pretty sweet. I need to check that out at some point.

You knew it was comin :D :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ^nice...

Jason, of course I knew that you would be in this thread, I wasn't expecting you to be here this soon... :ninja:

Oh BTW, feel free to try the 10'er out anytime...

4. Bassmonkee, do you have soundclips of the 8?

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--Yeah, after 5 hours of Forecasting and Business Calculus, it just so happened that the first time I could check out TB today was three minutes after you started this thread. :ninja:

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I don't have anything online at the moment, but I do have some recordings around here somewhere....

7. I've often wondered what a double-coursed fretless would sound like, particularly as it seems fairly common to add an octave effect(to a 'regular' fretless).

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here is mine. You've probably seen it, or the USA version before.

Hamer CH12

[​IMG]

Action shot

[​IMG]

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    How do you like the Dean, J-raj? Is that a low B or a high C?

Is it neck-heavy?

10. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Like your Hamer Jeff. Here's my eight string that I sold last year. It was one of my favorite basses in my original band, but my finger tips didn't like it much. I bled all over this bass at a few gigs.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    here is my not played much Galveston 12ver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    geshel,

I'm having a blast on this bass... yeah it's a tad heavier than my 5'er. About 2.5 pounds at least, but balances well.

The extra string is lower, a low B and it's higher octave. Very comfy to play... I feel right at home on it.

...sweet hamers, thx.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  14. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Here's my Galveston 12:
    [​IMG]

I've since gutted the ultra-crappy electronics and put in a Bartolini preamp and a set of Duncan actives - REALLY woke up the tone on the bass... a LOT. A Recommended Upgrade. (It did take just a little bit of routing on the pickup holes).

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I think that I'm going to change out the pre in my 10'er, as well... Hopefully an Aggie 3-band pre. I wonder what other p/up's fits the route on my Dean?

16. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Wouldn't be surprised to find that the Deans are the same pickup routs; all I know is that the duncans missed by about 1/8th of an inch at most. They were real close, but a little judicious use of the dremel fixed that. :)

And the Duncans were perfect - they have a real "bell-like" top end, which suits the octave strings perfectly. With the three band eq on the Bart preamp, I've got lots of control. Now if I only had more reason to play it...

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Pondering that mod for my Dean at the moment... I'm buying a pre this week and I'm going to try that first with these existing p/ups... if that still isn't the trick, the p/ups are going to be changed out next.

I recently placed a strip of black electrical tape over the pole pieces on each of the p/ups... this has eliminated some of the 'klank' when I was playing more aggressive. The strings were coming in contact with the pole piece from time to time.