1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PIX of my new 5-string Genesis

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kowski, Mar 20, 2006.

1. kowski

kowski

Jul 12, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Here it is and waited a few weeks to see how it plays: It's fine! Made by JamesBasses -- 35" scale, morado top and fingerboard, 5-piece neck, Nordstrand NJ5SF pickups (extended placement), Aguilar active electronics. Click here for pix:

http://www.xmission.com/~kowski/BassGuitar.htm

Didn't know how much I'd use the B-string, but it sure frees up movement up & down the neck, as well as hits those 'rattle-your-T-shirt-against-your-belly' low notes!

I love it! Michael

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That hot! Im really lovin' that F-Hole. The knob placement is a tad bit wierd though, but even with that this bass is gorgeous and that Aguilar+Nordie combo must be killer soundin'!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Beautiful ! :bassist:

4. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Very nice! Hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

5. kowski

kowski

Jul 12, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks -- I'm lovin' the sustain most of all -- eternity. The knob placement was my idea. Greg who made it thought, all right, if he wants it. I got used to it, but you're right, a tad wierd. Thought I'd try it.

6. Just because I had a completely different bass image in my head before opening this thread... wouldn't this infringe on Modulus' Genesis Bass trademark, as I imagine that model predates this company by at least almost a decade.

...as well as his "Spirit" f-hole option (Steinberger's budget line, owned by Gibson) and his "Eden" model, while not being a bass is extremely well-known within the music industry and could cause confusion. It appears his names are based from his religion which is all well and good for him, but someone might want to warn him that major trouble could be brewing should the aforementioned companies take action.

Edit: sent off a nicely worded e-mail informing him of such.

7. kowski

kowski

Jul 12, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    A company made such a complaint. "Genesis" goes waaaayyy back, to "The Beginning"!

Yeah, I'll pass it on and thanks. Michael

8. True, but "Genesis" as the name of a bass guitar is in use. Simplified, trademark/copywrite law works under the idea that the same name can be used by different companies so long as they're in different areas of sales and not causing confusion. Thus "Genesis" the band, "Genesis" the bass, "Genesis" the swimming pool... even "Eden" the bass, as "Eden" is already a company in the music industry.

I did so this morning in a nicely worded, polite e-mail. The response I got... well, let's just say I doubt I'll be ordering from him in the near future. I'll be nice and count it as the "Rick Turner Method of Response". :scowl:

9. OMG! That's one beautiful bass! More wood than I can handle at one sitting! You're a lucky player!

10. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Possibly the dirtiest thing ever said on TalkBass! ;) :bag:

PaulYeah

11. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Congrats on the new bass, it's a beauty!

I've got a fretless 5 on the way from James Basses (pictured). :hyper:

BTW, my experience dealing with Greg has been excellent. He's always been very straightforward and pleasant to work with.

As far as originality, I think that it might be a good idea for Greg to use more unique model names. However, note that quite a few builders use "J-Bass" and "P-Bass" in their model names.

12. kowski

kowski

Jul 12, 2005
    Salt Lake City