Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pizz on E string

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Rob Downie, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Rob Downie

Rob Downie

Jun 20, 2004
    Tualatin, OR
    I've spent almost 2 hrs. looking at past threads on RH pizz technique. Most everyone implies that the E string is problematic and they pizz it differently than the other 3, but only one or two have explained how they actually do it. I think we would all benefit from more discussion of how different people accomplish this. I would also like to know how you go between the A and E strings, as in a "root/five" pattern in the key of A. If you are playing the two strings differently, isn't it awkward to alternate between them?

Rob

2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I pizz it the same without any problems :meh:

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    For me it just feels a little different as you aren't landing on a lower string. Other than that, it's all the same.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Unless you've got a lower B string.......;)

5. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    On the bass i use the strings are really tense and old and the bass is just in general hard to play so the force i need to play through the strings, especially E strings is way too much my hand wont get caught by a lower string like earlier said. when i pluck the E string i pluck upwards so my fingers hit my hand; too bad they make a snapping noise, but it scool someimtes; instead of just hitting the other stirng.

6. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    I've played bluegrass bass for about 15 years now and I saw a trick to pull more tone and volume from any notes played on the low E string on DB.

Mark Hembree was the original bassman for the Nashville Bluegrass Band which formed in the mid-80's.

He showed me this trick and I've used it ever since.

Pull the first 2 digits of the index inward, much as if you were pulling a trigger on a gun. The tip of the finger should now be near the palm of the hand at the point where the index finger starts from the hand.

He would pull with the side of the knuckle and get incredible tone and volume. It takes a bit of time to adjust, but I can't play an E string any other way now. A bit of time will need to be allowed in order to get the skin on the knuckle toughened up.

If this is too confusing to understand, I may try to take a pic and attach it to a later reply when I get home from work this afternoon.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I have a huge lump on my knuckle right there from doing that :)

8. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Try searching more threads using 'Rufus Reid' as a keyword(s). There is a pizz E technique attributed to him that can be best described as letting your index finger wrap around the string as you pluck it with a downward motion. I can't remember the details, but it's worked for me. If you're alternating I-V with the A, it's going be difficult, but doable.

9. jdepriest

jdepriest

Sep 20, 2005
    Waynesburg, Pa
    For the Rufus Reid technique, anchor your thumb on the fingerboard. Pull the string with 2 fingers then rotate your wrist downward like you are turning on a faucet. This will let recover your hand position without affecting the time.

10. Pull the first 2 digits of the index inward, much as if you were pulling a trigger on a gun. The tip of the finger should now be near the palm of the hand at the point where the index finger starts from the hand.

He would pull with the side of the knuckle and get incredible tone and volume. It takes a bit of time to adjust, but I can't play an E string any other way now. A bit of time will need to be allowed in order to get the skin on the knuckle toughened up.

If this is too confusing to understand, I may try to take a pic and attach it to a later reply when I get home from work this afternoon.[/QUOTE]

sounds cool man, I can kinda picture what your doin', not sure if I quite understand, so then if your pulling with the knuckle that would mean your hand is twisted away from the fingerboard a fair bit is it not ? if ya got a pic that would be fanta'bulous! I got a rockabilly gig soon enough... would be nice to pull that out... Thanks