Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Georgia Watt, May 5, 2002.

1. Georgia Watt

Georgia Watt Guest

Mar 2, 2002
    Quick question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on this NHOP album I have (called 'The Duets' - ode to Duke Ellington) he plays Double Bass almost like an Electric. Mind boggling how fast some of the fingering is.

So now for my question...with his pizzicato, does anyone know if he actually plucks this fast stuff like an EB (with hands perpendicular to strings) or DB (with hands almost parallel to strings)?

And come to think of it, is there a right or wrong way to pluck strings on a DB?
  2. I think its called "Technique", and I think it's achieved by "Practise" (lots of... ;> )

Seriously, though - I think he uses more than one finger - and if the bass is amplified, then he would be able to use a lighter touch, and thus get the speed. If he was playing un-amplified, he'd have to "dig-in" more, and that might limit the speed (thus the technique).

- Wil

PS - My teacher says that the best way to get that "snap" at the beginning of the note, is to use the side of the finger - using almost to the the second knuckle. If you look closely at how Ray Brown plays pizz. you will see that he does this. Now, to do that fast, and accurately, ah! there's the rub!...
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    He plays with his fingers more parallel to the strings than you would on electric and uses mostly two and sometimes three fingers.
  4. oklarain

Feb 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Buster Williams plays with his fingers perpindicular to the strings (like an electric). He wouldn't let me play with my fingers parallel when I studied with him. Now I use both depending on the sound I'm looking for and the situation.