Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PJ bass on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Apr 26, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
  2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Japan is definitely not a bad thing. They are my favorite Fenders as of now! On the headstock it says madein USA though.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    This is more of a bump for you than a reply, as the auction closes in about 2.5 hours. :cool:

Edit: Like Figjam said, it does say MIA on the headstock...hmm... I just noticed that. Actually, the auction even says it's MIA. It's probably a good deal then, unless that was the "bad" era of US Fender manufacturing... IDK.

I can tell you that the string spacing at the nut looks like a P-bass, so the neck is most likely that. The J pup can add a lot to your sound, if you're looking for something other than just the P-bass tone. I like that setup, personally. I hope this helps.

:bassist:

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ive heard that the 80;s werent great for Fender.

5. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    (ive heard that the 80;s werent great for Fender.)

Yeah this is my concern and maybe what i think looks like a low price is reflective of that.
    And sorry about the Japan goof. should have noticed.
    Thanks!

6. This bass is MIA and is well worth the current $430 bid. I like the versatiliy of the PJ pups, great sounding basses. IMHO.

I own a 1989 MIJ Jazz Special and it sounds awesome with that pickup configuration!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    21 years old, eh? I don't recall any P-basses having a PJ pickup config 21 years ago, or did I miss those? I know mine, 70's was P only.

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    They were MIJ from about '83 -'88. I've got 4 of 'em.... :cool:

hey, it's cheaper than collecting alembics... :p

9. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I guess, NYS bob, you'd recommend them then! :D

Wonder what a good top price for this would be. Now im interested. Anyone have a spare room for when my wife throws me out of the house? Hey im in NYS too, if LI is considered part of the state!

10. I'm confused......... :meh:

11. it's been modded quite a bit-

note the machineheads- one is a Hipshot detuner, BT2 standard old pressed steel fender-style, but the other 3 look like current cast Fender types- using the nut fixing on the front.

also the J rout is quite close to the bridge- I doubt that was original.

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The J pup looks like it's in a factory position. The bass has a Bad@ss bridge, which is longer than standard bridges.

As always, I could be wrong.
    :bassist:

13. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Went for $620.

14. don't think so- see the US hotrod precision for the proximity of the J p/up to the pickguard.
    my warmoth P bass was routed for the PJ config and has a BadassII on it and the pickup is further from the bridge than on the ebay bass.

15. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Dude, there aren't any jazz specials on ebay right this second, but they usually have a few every month - I'll try to to remember to watch for them and either bump this thread or pm you when I see something promising. Count on $300 - $400 and worth every nickel... ;)

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
  17. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I have a p/j bass from the 85-86 years,the serial number does'nt allow an exact year to be determined(i looked everywhere and always got that same response).
    I payed 300.00$ for it a few years ago and it turned out to be the best bass I have have owned to date,I made a few up-grades and leveled the fretts and it plays like a p-bass should.
    my best friend liked it so much(he WAS a musicman fan before hand)he went out and bought a 62 re-issue 50 year anv. model for 1500$ and he cant believe my bass plays and sounds better than his :hyper: .
    But much to my dismay the new models being shipped over here from F/Japan are'nt even close to what they were in the 80's(I work in G.Center as a bass tech setting up all the basses that come in so I play them all!)
    On the other hand you can buy direct from Fender Japan and get a serious bass compared to the regular stock at any given music store and at 1/2 the price.
    An older gentleman has about 6 of them and every time he comes in he brings me a different one and i cannot believe how well they look and sound,the put many of the standard american series to shame.
    So dont hesitate on the P/J bass,they dont stick around for long now that they are being noticed as a well made, up and coming collector's item.
    ] :bassist:

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Here are my Jazz Specials - total cost here around $1600...

[​IMG]