1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PJ bass with exotic wood for under $2000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EagleMoon, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Can it be done? Other than the Warmoth route, are there any builders that can do this? I'm talking more of the standard Fenderish type body shape. I've been wanting an exotic body/wood top precision for some time now but unless you go into the huge bucks it seems pretty difficult to find.

2. Wow. Nobody? Maybe this answers my question?

3. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    After going around and trying Sadowskys, Lakelands, A-C's etc. I finally bit the bullet and went the Warmoth route as you have seen in my Warmoth/Moses P from a recent thread.

3427106435_cd020cf68d.

Getting stuff made dead custom can be exceedingly expensive and most of the "Fender Clones" tend to focus on the Jazz-bass styled guitar. I have a jazz bass of my own and it just doesn't "fit" me as well as my p-basses do.

Keep in mind that many up and coming smaller builders will get their bodies from suppliers like Warmoth, Allparts, or any other of the custom body places...I lucked out by trolling the Warmoth showcase - yes it's not perfectly bookmatched but does what it needs to do...plus I had a say in everything else that went into the instrument...

If you are leery of putting stuff together yourself find a local luthier/repair guy who is open to such a project - I found that the Moses neck needed some shaving down to fit into the neck pocket, so I took it to a local guru to work on it. Look around you may find someone local to help you in this quest...

4. I think someone on the board has a Stambaugh P. Also there was a LowEnd PJ 5er listed here a couple of weeks ago if I'm not mistaken. Could've been listed on the LowEnd website, I'm not sure. Hope that helps :)

5. Nice! Beautiful bass! I've bought stuff from Warmoth before and I don't think I'd have any trouble putting something together, but I was just curious if there was another route to go other than assembling something myself.

6. I think bdgotoh had it. Sorry for the lil' bump :)

Also maybe Devon would fit the bill?

7. Looks like they're above the $2000 mark. Very nice basses though!

8. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Valenti????

I don't think his prices are much more than 2K, and he's a helluva nice guy.

God Bless, Ray

9. What about Sandberg?

10. Over the $2000 mark for the exotic wood. That's been my problem, finding something under the $2000 mark.

11. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I bet Stambaugh will do it for under $2K and do it very well.
    You should call him.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    If my kid was not being born in 2 days, Hell, I'd custom build one for you at a decent price, (or retop a squier or an MIM) but because of pending situation, I'll be at a standstill for a month or so.

13. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I'm pretty sure you've already spoken to someone who can do this for you-Tom Clement! He has a Precision body shape, he can do whatever pickup config you want and even with an exotic top, you should stay under $2k. :D

14. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Warmoth makes excellent bodies and necks. One caution their necks are a little heavy (steel reinforcement bars). Allpart necks are more traditional and lighter. I have a Warmoth jazz alder with ebony fingerboard, if I was doing it over I would probably get an Allparts neck. Also Warmoth fingerboards are extra thick..can be a good or bad depending on how you like the thickness.:)

15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What about a Skjold Lions Pride?

I have no idea on the price, but its an option.

16. I don't care for Warmoth necks. Too thick feeling to me. If I can't find an alternative that I like, I'll probably end up going this route. Thanks everybody for your suggestions. But it seems like most of these builders have their own body shapes. I'm looking something in the vein of a standard looking precision (maybe a bit smaller).

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's already been said, but Chris Stambaugh can build you what you're looking for in this price range. He'd build you one with a P bass body. As long as you don't want wild electronics and super exotic woods then he can keep it under $2000 I'm sure.

18. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Does Nino do exotic woods?

Im not sure.

19. +1

He built this one for TBer Blowinblue

l_285e226b55f4a3e6f404dd82b993eea2.

A bolt-on 4 banger starts at $1600, and you'd be surprised at what that includes.

20. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, thats sweet.

Im going with the Stambaugh idea.. Wow.