1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pj config. Pot selection

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EnviroMetal, Sep 27, 2013.

1. EnviroMetal

EnviroMetal

Feb 16, 2013
    I have an ibanez gsr200 (2001) with a PJ pickup configuration. It was my first bass guitar and kinda sentimental to me so I was lookin at upgrading it. I am goin to install my matt freeman signature p bass pickup and a seymore duncan j bass pickup. I was also lookin at gettin new pots which leads to my question....do I need certain pots for the best result in tone and performance from this pickup configuration? I think the stock pots are 500k. Would the p work best with 250k or does it matter? And yes its passive

2. Pots are personal preference. Higher values are slightly brighter.

3. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    The tone pot should be a log. version ...

I would recommend to use the same value for the two volume pots (250k or 500k).
    The tone pot can have a different value.

4. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I'd keep 500k volume pots in a PJ, especially of the J is hum-cancelling.

I also use Fender TBX tone controls in my passive JJ and PJ basses.

You can always turn the tone control down if it sounds too bright to you for some material.